• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe IN or OUT

Grobe IN or OUT?

• Total voters

OldGoldandGrobe

Reaction score
Revote to see if any minds have changed. I expect this to skew IN because I am asking the question.

still out. would be wait-and-see if he fired Lobo

Last edited:
Grobe out? Not necessarily. Other coaches out? Yeah

Until these last games I was on the fence but am now Grobe Out or at least Grobe Severely Pressured. This status quo BS is not working and it's larger than simply just coordinators (meaning Grobe has quite a few things to answer for himself). There needs to be a large systematic change in the program, whether that involves a full coaching change is up for debate to me.

I'm Grobe-in if he can sever ties with Lobo. I am Lobo out and am BEYOND Galloway out. Playcalling on both sides was horrible this season.

Special teams guy needs to relook at kickoff returns

Grobe himself: In. If he can sever ties. If not, I'd like a whole new staff. (Minus Coach Him.)

I waited till the end of this season to see how it all played out. Today was a disgrace. Every facet of our team is in shambles. The losing and embarrassment has gone on for four straight years, and all signs of Grobe's former ability have vanished. This would be a no brainer if it weren't for the unfortunate 10-year deal signed by Wellman. For that and other transgressions, Wellman must go as well.

I'm Grobe-in if he can sever ties with Lobo. I am Lobo out and am BEYOND Galloway out. Playcalling on both sides was horrible this season.

Grobe himself: In. If he can sever ties. If not, I'd like a whole new staff. (Minus Coach Him.)

Galloway or Knorr?

Could mean either. The co-passing game and receivers (besides Camp) have been as bad as the defense.

Part of Grobe's problem is what I respect about him, Loyalty! I have not followed Wake as closely this year but can tell you that not only was Knorr a horrible head coach, he was not well liked by his players at Ohio. Grobe won 8 games his last year and Knorr had about 18 starters returning and only won about three games or so his first season.

I still think Wellman made a good hire with Grobe but his flirtation with a few jobs hurt recruiting and he has gotten away from the option football that brough success at Ohio and early on at Wake. UVA really screwed up by not hiring Grobe. He would have been able to recruit a higher quality athlete at UVA and there would not have been an issue with him looking at other jobs.

Despite the downward trend of Wake, they are posting right now on the sabre.com that they wish they had Grobe.

I hope Grobie can get things back on track at Wake.

Part of Grobe's problem is what I respect about him, Loyalty! I have not followed Wake as closely this year but can tell you that not only was Knorr a horrible head coach, he was not well liked by his players at Ohio. Grobe won 8 games his last year and Knorr had about 18 starters returning and only won about three games or so his first season.

I still think Wellman made a good hire with Grobe but his flirtation with a few jobs hurt recruiting and he has gotten away from the option football that brough success at Ohio and early on at Wake. UVA really screwed up by not hiring Grobe. He would have been able to recruit a higher quality athlete at UVA and there would not have been an issue with him looking at other jobs.

Despite the downward trend of Wake, they are posting right now on the sabre.com that they wish they had Grobe.

I hope Grobie can get things back on track at Wake.

I enjoy your perspective but don't fully agree with all this. One, I wasn't aware UVA fans were pining for Grobe anymore. Two, I don't think Grobe's recruiting would have been substantially different at UVA. Three, I don't know if Grobe's flirtation with other jobs really hurt his recruiting. Lots of coaches have flirtations. I think Grobe just recruits as he always does, and we had a short spell there where we really came into some defensive talent that even Grobe couldn't foresee. As is often pointed out, we won our championship with a QB Grobe was told to pick up late and didn't identify as a starter until injuries forced the issue.l

Grobe improved Ohio from horrible to .500. This is why their fans still love him.

However Solich has come in and taken the program to a higher level. Wake requires a similar solution

One thing that has been noticeably lacking on the Wake sideline this season has been enthusiasm. It just doesn't look like anyone on the team is having fun playing football--they all look like they're on some kind of death march toward the end of the season. I contrast that with what I saw looking across the field today with Franklin or a month ago against Clemson. Those coaches were up, pumping up their kids, encouraging them. I can't remember the last time I saw a Wake coach do that. Grobe just stands there like a statute or paces while looking down at the ground. Frankly, I'm not sure what he actually does on the sideline, as you never see him speaking into his headset or talking to anybody either.

I feel like Grobe is a few "daggums" from being like Bobby Bowden is in his last few years.

This...he has taken the program to new heights, and for this I'd like to give him a chance to be successful with some new coordinators and a real fire under his ass to get the job done or take an early retirement.

However, I'm starting to think that for all Grobe has done for the program to this point, he's taken us as far as he can or as far as he is interested in going.

So you don't see Grobe as a part of the problem and his insistence on surrounding himself on the likes of Lobo, Knorr, and Galloway as being one of the primary reasons for our problems?

Back