• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe's record against in state teams?

How could it not be argued that he's the best coach over the last 12 years? We're the only team with an ACC title from North Carolina in 30 years, the only North Carolina team that has played in a BCS bowl ever, Grobe is 32-10 against in-state opponents since taking over, Wake has "won" the Mack Brown deal like 5 or 6 times. Who else is even close? It's almost inarguable that he's the best NC coach in the past dozen years.

To put it another way, the best at coaching games played in NC. Outside NC, not so much.

To put it another way, the best at coaching games played in NC. Outside NC, not so much.

I find it disappointing that despite Grobe's very strong record against in-state schools, our in-state recruiting isn't better.

We've made a conscious decision to focus recruiting efforts on larger areas with more people in the pool (Florida, Atlanta, etc.)

We've made a conscious decision to focus recruiting efforts on larger areas with more people in the pool (Florida, Atlanta, etc.)

Are you a politician, because you can spin with the best of them. Grobe has said many times, you need to take care of your own state first and we haven't done all that well in NC. In fact, I don't think we got near the recruiting bump we should've coming off the Orange Bowl year. In my opinion the staff has talked themselves into the "we have to find the diamonds in the rough, the ones the other programs passed over" attitude too much and haven't been as aggressive in recruiting as they could. I'm not saying they could've reeled in 4-star after 4-star, but I think there has been an unwillingness to even try for fear of failure.

One may argue for Coach Grobe being the best coach in NC in the past 12 yrs.
FBS coaches in North Carolina since Grobe started include:

Chuck Amato
Tom O'Brien
Dave Doeren
John Bunting
Butch Davis
Larry Fedora
Steve Logan
John Thompson
Skip Holtz
Ruffin McNeill
Carl Franks
Ted Roof
David Cutcliffe

Are you a politician, because you can spin with the best of them. Grobe has said many times, you need to take care of your own state first and we haven't done all that well in NC. In fact, I don't think we got near the recruiting bump we should've coming off the Orange Bowl year. In my opinion the staff has talked themselves into the "we have to find the diamonds in the rough, the ones the other programs passed over" attitude too much and haven't been as aggressive in recruiting as they could. I'm not saying they could've reeled in 4-star after 4-star, but I think there has been an unwillingness to even try for fear of failure.

The coaches theory is that 4 stars in NC have same talent as 3 or 2 stars in TX or FL.

Wake has like the third most recruits from Florida in the country for a team not in Florida (hell might even be with the teams in Florida). Plus my statement was one that's an objective fact and didn't have any spin on it whatsoever. The statement was Wake doesn't recruit well in North Carolina and I was simply pointing out that we spend a lot of our time and effort to recruit out of state. We're looking for a niche area where there's a lot of talent. There are more players in Florida, there is more talent in Florida, and we've done a decent job of establishing a pipeline of sorts to Winston.

Back