• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Guess the date/time of Manning’s firing/resignation

I know a little bit about him from when he was a K-State and I was at Kansas. That kind of familiarity – not that I know him, but I know of him.
I’m excited to spend some time with him, get to know and hear his vision and share my vision for our program, as well.

Hoping the vision doesn't have DM in it. Short meeting.

This sums up how much WFU's suckitude in basketball has led to my overall disinterest in not only Wake but college BB in general:
Just saw a live news report from WRAL at the ACC tournament, and the thing's in CHARLOTTE!! For real, thought it was back in Greensboro this year.

I got home tonight and looked to see who was playing. Louisville vs. Notre Dame and Syracuse vs. Pitt is not the ACC Tourney, no matter where it is played or what they call it. Give me the old days when there were 8 (hell even 9- the Les Robinson game was always fun. And Wake and UNC are the only schools to avoid playing in it) and the quarterfinals were on Friday, semifinals on Saturday, and the finals on Sunday afternoon. Expansion (and Wake's lost decade) have totally ruined what used to be one of my favorite weekends of the year.

Would like to point out that Danny was asked about the AD change on the ACC teleconference before the press conferences on that Monday.

So, where Dan went "checking around, I confirmed that the question had not been asked of Danny Manning." ... There, um, needed to be some more checking around.

Here's Danny's responses, FWIW (you could have probably guessed them):

Reaction to yesterday’s news?
Obviously for me, Ron is the AD that hired me, so obviously … grateful for the relationship that we’ve built.
But I also understand that he’s been doing it for a long time, very successful and feels like this is the right time for him to retire.
Obviously congratulations are in order and I’m happy for him that he’s at that point.

And it’s exciting at the same time. We’re bringing in a new AD that will come in and will have to implement his own leadership ideas and plans moving forward.
I know a little bit about him from when he was a K-State and I was at Kansas. That kind of familiarity – not that I know him, but I know of him.
I’m excited to spend some time with him, get to know and hear his vision and share my vision for our program, as well.

I wonder if deep down, Danny realizes that his failure is the main reason that Wellman is "retiring"?

I got home tonight and looked to see who was playing. Louisville vs. Notre Dame and Syracuse vs. Pitt is not the ACC Tourney, no matter where it is played or what they call it. Give me the old days when there were 8 (hell even 9- the Les Robinson game was always fun. And Wake and UNC are the only schools to avoid playing in it) and the quarterfinals were on Friday, semifinals on Saturday, and the finals on Sunday afternoon. Expansion (and Wake's lost decade) have totally ruined what used to be one of my favorite weekends of the year.

Yeah I used to love having the ACC Championship Game be the last thing before the brackets are revealed. Now it’s on Saturday which is lame. Was talking to a Heel fan coworker and we’re both going to a concert on Saturday and he was saying when he booked he forgot it was on the same night as the championship. I told him we’ve been so bad for so long I had completely forgotten they had moved it since we haven’t come close.

IMO the high buyout is real and they brought in Currie right now to find the money to get rid of him because the big donors do not trust Wellman. So I think rumors of the buyout being a problem are true and that the money may not be there to buy him out right now. If Currie does his thing, I think he'll find the money to deal with Manning and he'll be gone. I don't see why the timing of the AD announcement would have happened otherwise.

If it is $18M, take that number and divide by 5000 students. That’s a tuition increase of $3600 per student. Any parent paying the kind of money it takes to attend Wake today wouldn’t even notice that.

If it is $18M, take that number and divide by 5000 students. That’s a tuition increase of $3600 per student. Any parent paying the kind of money it takes to attend Wake today wouldn’t even notice that.

Ha. Annual tuition was around $3600 when I first applied to Wake, if I remember correctly. That was the early '80s.

Then Forbes ran an article naming Waking Forest the #1 bargain for a college education in America. They said something along the lines of it being an Ivy League education at a bargain basement price. Of course, the school took offense at that, and it was all downhill from there. Or uphill, as it were. Tuition was over $6000 by my Senior year

Remember when tickets to the ACC tournament were among the most difficult of all tickets to obtain...comparable to the Masters and World Series? That was particularly true of the opening round when every team played.

Watching replay of 95 tournament final on the U right now. It's in OT. I'm more amped and excited about what I already know is going to happen than anything that has happened in a decade or more.

This article on espn.com really hit home and reminded me of the good old days of the ACC tournament. Really brought back memories, as it was the same for me almost exactly. If you are around my age, I highly recommend reading I.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...m-old-school-acc-tournament-classroom-tv-cart

Yup. That was the norm growing up, both in King and later in Winston-Salem...at least until I started skipping school in the early nineties to go to the tournament in Charlotte or Greensboro. Only missed Tampa and the 2nd tournament in Atlanta from maybe 1991 up until Wake hired [Redacted].

Remember when tickets to the ACC tournament were among the most difficult of all tickets to obtain...comparable to the Masters and World Series? That was particularly true of the opening round when every team played.

In college and afterwards, I could easily cover the expenses of my trip by buying a second ticket book and selling them off individually. This morning, I've been offered free tickets by 5 different people.

Watching replay of 95 tournament final on the U right now. It's in OT. I'm more amped and excited about what I already know is going to happen than anything that has happened in a decade or more.

Agreed. I was watching that on Youtube the other night. It was fun to watch for Childress' crossover and Wallace's injury and of course Randolph scoring all 9 points in OT to win the game and break the tourney scoring record. It almost seems too amazing to have been real.

I believe all of those tournament games from 1995 are in the ACC "vault" on the ACC website. I watched them all a few years ago. We were really up against the ropes in that Duke game in the first round. Love the story associated with it where Chill said in the huddle while Wake was down 18 or so in the first half that if the other guys didn't want to win then just get out of the way and give him the ball so he could win it. And...he did.

Back