• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Guess the first CFP ranking

WakeForest Fan

Reaction score
i think it should be:
1 - Georgia (based on statistical metrics they are way ahead of other teams at the moment)
2 - Cincinnati
3 - Michigan State
4 - Wake Forest
5 - Oklahoma
6 - Alabama
7 - Oregon
8 - Ohio State
9 - Michigan
10 - Notre Dame

I do favor undefeated teams and head-to-head.

it will probably be:
1 - Georgia
2 - Cincinnati
3 - Alabama
4 - Michigan State
5 - Oklahoma
6 - Ohio State
7 - Oregon
8 - Notre Dame
9 - Michigan
10 - Wake Forest

I think MSU will be ahead of Cincinnati. In fact, I think Cincinnati will be more in the 5-6 range.

This FPI nonsense is being pushed hard by ESPN and associates, and half of the inputs are meaningless or irrelevant 9 weeks into the season.

I think MSU will be ahead of Cincinnati. In fact, I think Cincinnati will be more in the 5-6 range.

I agree. It's sad to see ESPN already laying the groundwork for Cincy to be held out of the playoff. I've seen several articles across their platforms this weekend about how they are so inferior to the power conference teams. They'll be careful to rank them as low as possible so when teams ahead of them inevitably lose and slide in the rankings, they aren't forced to have them in a top 4 spot.

Cincy’s resume is not they impressive. And the CFP shouldn’t put themselves in a position where they’d have to slide Cincy down because the rest of their schedule is much worse than other teams.

Cincy’s resume is not they impressive. And the CFP shouldn’t put themselves in a position where they’d have to slide Cincy down because the rest of their schedule is much worse than other teams.

I don't know why they are ranked so high. If they were P5, maybe.

And now that SMU has a pathetic loss, they won't be ranked when they play

they are really gonna (rightfully) hang their hat on that road win at ND, who I don’t think is particularly good but keeps winning. if ND runs the table, would be pretty nuts if cincy was left out despite their overall schedule weakness.

very curious how the committee prioritizes teams. i read that SOR (strength of record) is one of the best espn predictors (https://www.espn.com/college-football/fpi/_/view/resume/sort/resume.accomplishmentrank). we rank 5th after UGA, MSU, OU and Bama, right ahead of Cincy. That only has Ohio State 14th though although they are obviously better than that based on margin of victory and general eye test. also remain puzzled OUs resume is seen as that impressive.

Still, I would hope osu is towards the bottom of the top 10 (knowing they would rise if they keep winning).

would love something like:
1/ uga
2/ msu
3/ ou
4/ bama
5/ wake
6/ cincy
7/ oregon
8/ ohio st
9/ ND
10/ michigan or baylor

i would actually personally put cincy at #4 and drop oklahoma to #5 but would obviously would prefer to start off above cincy

Last edited:
It’ll be dumb because Alabama will be behind Georgia and there’s no scenario at the end of the regular season with Georgia on top of Bama and Bama still in the top 4. Only way Bama is in is if they beat Georgia and will therefore be higher than them.

How is that dumb?

If Bama is #2. Next to Georgia at 1. That’s a scenario that can’t happen in the end.

same question. i don’t have great recollection of previous CFP polls for obvious NWT reasons, but i would hope the committee makes the rankings purely on what has happened to date and completely ignores future matchups.

If they’re “if the season ended today” then fine, but if predictors then I stand by my point.

Back