• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Guess UNC's football penalties

Until the past 2 weeks, UNC was claiming that privacy laws prevented it from releasing those "student records." As far as I know, those laws do not provide an exception for NCAA investigations, so I agree with Racer that the NCAA is likely just receiving that information for the first time, along with the media.

Way I see it, UNC has "time served" under their belt by reporting and acting when things came to light. Unlike OSU who lied to keep players eligible and USC who basically spit in the NCAA's face.

This will factor into the penalty phase greatly, and in a way most of us won't like. All this talk about LOIC still possible and ongoing stuff is just setting folks up for disappointment.

Actual quote from IC: More serious stuff than this comes out every year

Keep telling yourself that :tard: I generally agree that the penalty will be less than we'd like but this is serious shit.

Way I see it, UNC has "time served" under their belt by reporting and acting when things came to light. Unlike OSU who lied to keep players eligible and USC who basically spit in the NCAA's face.

This will factor into the penalty phase greatly, and in a way most of us won't like. All this talk about LOIC still possible and ongoing stuff is just setting folks up for disappointment.

The NOA has multiple allegations of failure to cooperate. Not playing ineligible players is not punishment

UNC played ineligible players for three years (08-10) according to the allegations. Time served ain't happening. They're losing scholarships and vacating entire seasons, probably losing post-season play for a few years as well.

Although more things were done than this, can you elaborate on why this true in your eyes?

Are you serious? How could not playing a player who is not eligible to play be a punishment?

Chris Paul, Jeff Teague, James Johnson are not eligible to play basketball for Wake Forest. Are we being punished for not playing them?

Good to see this Bob UNC troll was able to take a break from his truck stop glory hole to post on this topic.

UNC played ineligible players for three years (08-10) according to the allegations. Time served ain't happening. They're losing scholarships and vacating entire seasons, probably losing post-season play for a few years as well.

Exactly. The "time served" argument is akin to being pulled over for a DUI and then being allowed to just call a cab to drive you the last mile home as your punishment.

UNC fans honestly believe they've already been punished because they sat players who would have supposedly won them a NC last year.

Last edited:
According to Pat Forde at ESPN the COI could add the LOIC charge to UNC-cheat at the Oct. Hearing.

Pat Forde @espn4d Pat Forde
True. COI could add that penalty. Just surprised it isn't part of the package now.

Perfect results IMO = loss of scholarships and a ban from tv / post-season play, with Butchie surviving. He couldn't win with black santa pulling in NFL first rounders. Take away the top kids, scholarships and tv time and the holes are destined to cellar dwelling for the next 5+ years.

I cant wait to pick my spot in the new 25,000 endzone seats when we play there in October

First and foremost, I'm an ASU grad and fan. I don't really have a dog in this fight, so no need to get so defensive.

Secondly, UNC suspended players that weren't even ruled ineligible by the NCAA nor found guilty. The time served will and is coming into play and is a big reason why UNC won't get LOIC or any of the other wishful things most people want to happen. I never said anything even remotely close to UNC is getting off scott free here, not sure where that is coming from.

By the way, they also fired their rogue asst coach immediately, that will figure into this too. I'm sorry this is so upsetting to you all, I thought this thread was about possible UNC penalties. I didn't realize I had to buy into the whole 'what we want to happen' part of the equation.

Last edited:
I would say loss of 3 schollies a year for 3 years and no post season this year.

They ought to fire Butchie but they won't

First and foremost, I'm an ASU grad and fan. I don't really have a dog in this fight, so need to get so defensive.

Secondly, UNC suspended players that weren't even ruled ineligible by the NCAA nor found guilty. The time served will and is coming into play and is a big reason why UNC won't get LOIC or any of the other wishful things most people want to happen. I never said anything even remotely close to UNC is getting off scott free here, not sure where that is coming from.

By the way, they also fired their rogue asst coach immediately, that will figure into this too. I'm sorry this is so upsetting to you all, I thought this thread was about possible UNC penalties. I didn't realize I had to buy into the whole 'what we want to happen' part of the equation.

The players who are believed to be those named in the NOA were suspended and will be found guilty and will be deemed to have been ineligible. Yes, UNC did hold out some player who might be ineligible. But that was precaution rather than punishment.

They did not fire him. He resigned with a $70,000 pay off. And it wasn't immediate. It was after the LSU game, for which at least 10 players were suspended. If they had actually fired him, you point might have some validity. But I believe the stated reason for his resignation was so that his presence wouldn't be a "distraction"

Spin it however need be, the NCAA obviously took these things into account.

Coupled with the head coach only getting one mention in 42 pages, it's the only way I can see they avoided LOIC.

This is as bad of allegations as non LOIC can get. I would guess Mandel's estimate would be about correct.

There is a rumor that investigation part deux might be around the corner.

I don't understand the part about the tutor paying like $2k in parking tickets for the players. That makes no sense whatsoever. Does anyone really believe that this chick had an extra $2k of her own money laying around with which to pay some jackass football player's parking tickets?

Back