• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

guitarists and gear

It is done 99% by ear. There's some 'meter watching' going on, but since you won't be seeing the music, best to do levels by ear.

There is compression involved. I generally track with a bit on kick, snare, bass, and vox. I have a compressor on the toms, but I use it more as a peak limiter to keep from having 'overs'. I will compress the kick, snare, bass, and vox a bit more at mix time.

So, no cheating! :)

Well yeah, definitely have compression involved on the individual tracks, especially bass and vox (I use Addictive Drums for my drums, so compression is usually factored in there unless you turn it off). I mean with the mixdown, though. I do use a pretty sweet program called Har Bal where you can do some nice EQ and adjust volume levels to a reference track, and that seems to be a pretty good place to start to get stuff near the same level.

I have Har Bal. I use it very rarely. It can be handy, though. As much as anything, it can teach you to be more aware of frequency bands and how they affect the overall sound of a tune.

For overall volume in mastering I use a combination of hardware and software to bring the overall levels up. More compression first (I may use a couple different units...one right after the other), then some EQ to tweak the spectral balance...or I may go comp/eq/comp/eq. A limiter (usually software) will be at the end of the chain for the final overall volume bump. To determine if I have a 'competitively loud' master, I rely on my ears and a calibrated set of VU meters: one showing the levels going in to the chain, the other pair on the back side of the processing chain showing the increased level.

There is no substitute for a good mix, of course. If levels of particular instruments/aspects need adjustment, then it's best to do it while in multi-track/mix mode. Waiting to fix it in mastering after it's already mixed is not recommendable.

Console centerpiece for the studio:

neve-full.jpg

Recently picked up a Martin 000-MMV and threw a Fishman pickup in it. Very pleased with the purchase and love the way it sounds plugged in.

This is my latest build and Christmas present to myself. I play guitar, banjo, mandolin etc in my band and this solves an issue on a couple of songs where I need to play both electric guitar and get some banjo in. But really, I guess I just wanted it because it looks cool to me and is different. Built by my good friend Brian Nutter who is an incredible guitar builder, but is more known (for now, at least) as Keith Urban's guitar player in his backing band the last several years. Brian has built two of these, and the other was built for and played by KU. The one in the video is KU's. Mine has a black pick guard but is otherwise the same. Gold foil pickup btw.

That thing looks like it weighs a ton. Good banjo sounds, though. Rick Nielsen would be proud.

Dig it; though admittedly not much of a banjo fan.

Can see where this could come in handy.

That guitar pickup has a nice tone. Single coil?

Yeah, it's a gold foil single coil by Lollar. It really isn't that heavy. I will weigh it and report back.

Mercury, do you do amp repairs?

I do a lot of my own...most of the time...and I have done things for folks on occasion.

If you own as many pieces as I do, pays to be able to work on them. If I can't/won't get it done, I have to drive over the mountain to Asheville to get them repaired...not a big deal (~half hour drive), but there is some satisfaction in being more self-sufficient.

What you got going on, good man?

I have a Laney Lionheart head that just fades out after playing it for a couple of minutes and just goes totally quiet. Does it every time. I am not handy with amp repairs. And just don't know much about the inner workings. Is that a tube?

I have a Laney Lionheart head that just fades out after playing it for a couple of minutes and just goes totally quiet. Does it every time. I am not handy with amp repairs. And just don't know much about the inner workings. Is that a tube?

Try taking a spare preamp tube of the type in the socket and replacing it, and see what happens. Make sure it's the same tube designation (12ax7, 7025, etc.) Be sure to cut the amp off each time you make a swap.

It could be a power tube. (Hell, it could be anything)! With the amp turned on, see if you observe any red-plating going on in the power tubes. The center plate would be orange/red...like it's too hot. Shouldn't do that!

It would seem that as some component(s) heats up it starts to fail or the value drifts way out of spec. The fact that it is a 'repeatable offense' suggests that whatever it is...that part has not totally failed yet...but it will!

Tubes are always the first things to check.

Let me know what you find.

Try taking a spare preamp tube of the type in the socket and replacing it, and see what happens. Make sure it's the same tube designation (12ax7, 7025, etc.) Be sure to cut the amp off each time you make a swap.

It could be a power tube. (Hell, it could be anything)! With the amp turned on, see if you observe any red-plating going on in the power tubes. The center plate would be orange/red...like it's too hot. Shouldn't do that!

It would seem that as some component(s) heats up it starts to fail or the value drifts way out of spec. The fact that it is a 'repeatable offense' suggests that whatever it is...that part has not totally failed yet...but it will!

Tubes are always the first things to check.

Let me know what you find.

Awesome! Thanks - will do

How do you like the Lionheart? I had the Ironheart because I play mainly rock and it didn't exactly do it for me. I am super happy with the EVH 5150 I got for it though. Recently, I have been running a stereo rig with a Mesa Roadster and the EVH 5150. Rock and metal tone all day long.

I love the Laney Lionheart. In fact, I have a Laney Lionheart L5t 112 combo too. It's a fantastic bedroom amp at 5 watts and sounds great at lower volumes, but it can get REALLY loud for 5 watts. Totally giggable amp for most venues.

Here's a good demo of the 5 watt Laney Lionheart. HIGHLY recommend any of the Lionheart series.

Well my effort to cut back on guitars has failed, as I bought another BASS guitar this week. Nothing fancy, just a mid-priced Schecter, but grabbed it off the shelf to play at GC and really liked the way it played. Feels like it may be a bit of a smaller scale but not sure about that. Any bass heads out there have any insight into this particular model? I have a Schecter 12 string electric that I really like too. Seems like they make pretty solid guitars for a good price. http://www.schecterguitars.com/bass/stiletto-stealth-4-lh-detail

Back