• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

guitarists and gear

I'm game. Have been wanting to do a reggae tune called neg rep pussy be a pseudo man for a while now

I'm using Tapatalk, bitch.

I am game. We need to determine the "attitude" (angry, wry, tongue in cheek, aggressive, clever?) of the flagship composition. I have steady flow of musicians in and out of the studio here...and all the instruments necessary to track any basics: Great drum kit, Ampeg Portaflex bass amp, Hammond B3...and of course, loads of guitars and amps.

My initial thought is that we need to consider composing in a minor key. You know it's serious music when it's written in a minor key :)

We can share files via dropbox. We can do this.

Further discussion expected...and appreciated.

I think a good riff on the "sad Charlie Brown" theme would be perfect. Something every Wake fan can drop their head and sulk to while tapping their foot.

Agree about doing it in a minor key. As boring as Buzz is we should probably only have one chord throughout the song. It should definitely be a drone song with very few chord changes. "Release" by Pearl Jam type of song. In fact, some of the lyrics are already built in that song for us.

I need to go to my local GC and pick up some teles. I have a billion guitars and no teles (or SGs). What kind of bullshit is that?

ELC, don't go to GC for your Tele. Order a G&L ASAT online or from wherever. I much prefer to Fender Teles.

where's the band fellas? i actually think it would be cool to have a place to share ideas and get feedback, etc.

I will set up a dropbox this weekend for interested parties to submit some clips for a Bzzz Out song. PM me your email address and we'll get started. Thanks...

Last edited:
just joined the dropbox, yall need to get in on this.

any one have any opinions on the schecter PT? i can grab one for pretty cheap and it looks pretty cool.

The bridge could switch the mood up from angry to nostalgic, maybe a reflection on the the days of yore, and Prosser. lol

just joined the dropbox, yall need to get in on this.

any one have any opinions on the schecter PT? i can grab one for pretty cheap and it looks pretty cool.

I got an invitation, but it bugged out on me. I do have dropbox already installed for another band project. Could that be conflicting?

I got an invitation, but it bugged out on me. I do have dropbox already installed for another band project. Could that be conflicting?

I wouldn't think so, ELC...I have multiple folders for several studio projects over time, and have had no measurable issues...

I can 'resend' if you'd like.

So I just finished rebuilding my first guitar. It was an old off-brand strat that I gutted and replaced everything (wiring, pots, pickups, bridge, etc.) I still plan to replace the neck with a maple one, but the body and internals are finished and I'm pretty happy with it (ignore the fact I only have three strings on it...I was just testing it when I took the pics).

BK9jPGlCQAEN1Ir.jpg:large

So, tell us what you took out and what you replaced it with!

Well, like I said, it was a cheap Strat clone I bought for cheap off Craigslist. I really wanted to try my hand at building a guitar, and thought this would be a good way to start. When I say I gutted it, I mean all that was left when I took it apart was the body. I replaced the input jack, the bridge/tremolo system, pots, selector switch, knobs, pickups....everything.

The big block tremolo, 250k CTS pots, selector, input jack, wiring (the old push-back type that you don't have to strip), and knobs were all authentic Fender parts that I got relatively inexpensive from places like Amazon. I also put a white pearloid pick guard and back cover on to replace the off white guard it had originally (also Fender). The only thing that wasn't Fender was the pickups. Those were some Wilkinson single coil pickups that I picked up on the cheap. I didn't want to blow $200+ on Fender pickups since this was my first try at doing something like this.

It was a lot of fun putting it together, although not without its challenges. First the pick guard didn't line up exactly with the holes in the body from the last guard (guess that's what I get for using a cheap clone) so I had to drill a few new holes in the front an back. Then, the new pots (which were substantially larger than the previous ones in the guitar) didn't quite fit in the body cavity, so I had to use a dremel to trim out part of the interior of the body. Both were a bit of a hassle, but really were easy enough to fix. What I was really worried about was the wiring, since I've only ever soldered a few times. When I "finished" I plugged it in and got this horrible buzzing noise, which was pretty deflating. Luckily, I went to the local music store and asked for some advice...the guy told me that 9 times out of 10 it was getting the wiring on the input jack backwards. Sure enough, that's what it was. I switched those and now it sounds great.

Like I said, I still want to replace the neck with a 22-fret maple (preferably a Fender or Squier) since the frets are sharp and the fingerboard on this one are worn, but those are significantly more expensive than what I've already put in to this guitar, so that might take a while.

Nice. Looks and sounds like a job well done. This Tele is a home brew (the neck is a Fender "second"). The body is mahogany down the middle and the 'wings' are poplar---drilled out to make it very light. The P90 is from a late 50's LP Special; the bridge pup is a Kent Armstrong. Color courtesy of a friend's wife's auto bump up (the pant was left over from the repair job)...

Tele-Vibroluxe.JPG

Back