• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hanes Middle School sits on top of a pool of toxic waste

They do often suggest headlines...

Not at a paper like the Journal. The reporter would not know the headline until the paper came out, and certainly wouldn't know the secondary headline. Mystery Man is correct on that point.

The larger point is that we only know of the situation because of the Journal. Credit where it's due. You may not agree that the school is dangerous, but the conversation would not have happened without the Journal's reporting. And remember, this happened because the school system wanted to dig into the plume to build a new school where the toxins are most heavily concentrated.

Wasn't LK's wife one of the scientists who spoke out?

Wasn't LK's wife one of the scientists who spoke out?

Yes, although only really in the context that there simply was not enough data to proclaim the site was safe and it's better to err on the side of caution and move the kids immediately. She never got up and spoke at the board meetings, because she felt the parents who were already speaking were doing a great job getting the message out.

Yes, although only really in the context that there simply was not enough data to proclaim the site was safe and it's better to err on the side of caution and move the kids immediately. She never got up and spoke at the board meetings, because she felt the parents who were already speaking were doing a great job getting the message out.

The message that the school board shouldn't wait for actual facts and instead make a knee jerk reaction?

The message that they failed to do testing over the years and therefore no one knew the level of risk.

Because DENR told them they didn't need to b/c the tests were repeatedly negative. They tested again in 2014 b/c they wanted to dig on the site - negative in the classrooms (but the well data was not good; Journal researched the well data, rest is history). February 2015 test - again, negative in the classrooms.

Nothing here was done by the book (as many have pointed out, when it comes to vapor intrusion there isn't a book), but in terms of standards as we know them now, the air in the school has time and again been proven to be "safe." I put "safe" in quotes only b/c I respect that many argue we don't even understand this stuff. That said, do we understand what it's like to take in a few lungfuls of bus exhaust when stopped behind one at a light or what the increased risk in harm is when increasing highways miles per year 5000% ... it's all about risk.

The ship has sailed and I'm truly impressed with how Superintendant Emory (who voted to stay through the year - kudos) and the Hanes staff (remarkable people, truly) have handled this entire situation. The HAG and special needs kids have been getting all the attention - the folks I actually hate it for most are Jose (not stereotyping - my kid's friend's name is Jose) and others who live in the neighborhood who have had their neighborhood school taken away from them. Jose is the kid who "drinks oatmeal" (literally, out of a styrofoam cup) everyday while waiting for the bus on the corner of Indiana and Progress. His 7:20am bus will be around ~ an hour earlier tomorrow. Everyone is talking about building a new Lowrance and where the HAGs will be located. A big neighborhood just lost its school.

The message that they failed to do testing over the years and therefore no one knew the level of risk.

First morning at "Hanes on the Hill". Due to the move we have to get up at 5:15 now instead of of 5:30am. Yay.

First bus ride to Hanes on the Hill: the bus driver asked kids to pull up the address on iPhone because she didn't know how to get there. Not kidding.

Back