• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hang it! (Alondes Williams ACC POY, 1st Team All-ACC)

when donaldross makes the argument that WF has underachieved because "WF had the best player of alltime and didn't reach the ACCT championship game in the past 25 years" when he knows that WF won the ACC championship with said player 26 and 27 years ago...you tip your cap to him as the greatest troll of the sports board, and nobody else is even close

yep, had the same thought. *chef's kiss*

Have we only won two ACCT games since 2007?

I haven’t been tracking the Tuesday round of 15 garbage. I do think we have 3 wins in that round actually. We definitely have the worst record in that round of all ACC teams. It ain’t pretty either.

I’m telling you next Wednesdays game to even get in the Quarters is massive historically. We have been THAT bad. The “glory” days you read about on these boards were actually really bad.

why in the fuck do you care about a Coach's banner in the rafters? That's pretty much just honoring them, right? Or are we never allowed to have a person named Skip Prosser coach for us again? Sorry any future Skip Prossers. That name is RETIRED.

you truly are being an asinine person in this thread

Now go on about how RayRay dominated Chris Paul and kicked our ass again... clownshoes.

Bones should be in the rafters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Retiring J Ho’s Jersey was not correct. He could regular season success in 1 season.

The fact that he was a 4 year player reveals just how bad his first three seasons were. And this dream season you are referring to? What a disaster. We lost to a bad NC State team and 10 seeded Auburn.

Here is where we differ: finishing first in the regular season means more to me than a couple games in a win or go home tournament. You keep downplaying the accomplishment that clearly sets Howard apart - leading his team to finishing 1st in the regular season. You cannot tell the story of Wake Forest basketball history without looking at that season or the fact that Howard led us there.

As to the bolded comment:

Josh's sophomore year he was 2nd team all ACC in a year that was loaded with talent
His junior year he was 3rd team all ACC, dropping from 2nd to 3rd team largely because of a late season ankle injury
His senior year he was ACC POY

Unless one has actually seen the players in question (Brown, Griffin, Johnson, Bogues) play while they were at Wake, then they should not have an opinion about their jerseys being retired because unless they saw them play, they don't know what they are talking about.

Why is that? We’ve read all the stats and watched the same videos you saw live.

Given that memories here about Skip Prosser’s years are just dead wrong, it doesn’t seem watching them live made everyone agree. I bet I watched more of CP3 and J Hos games in person than anyone. And I don’t think they should be retired either.

I think the biggest thing separating Alondes Williams from John Collins at this point is that Alondes very likely will lead the ACC in scoring and assists. Something no other player from any school has done in conference history. If he gets player of the year, which he should, then I am OK with retiring his jersey. He has had an unbelievably unique year, and it should be celebrated

LOL, do you not realize when the satire is obviously about you?

LOL, do you not realize when the satire is obviously about you?

200w.gif

My basic stance is this - retiring a jersey should be extremely rare. The easiest criteria is this - if it is not completely obvious, you don't do it. Questionable? Debateable? Differing reasonable opinions? Then nope - you don't do it.

Assuming Williams wins POY I would absolutely put a banner up that has his name on it and "ACC POY, 2022".

Man, I looked up Josh Howard's career stats so I could yell at DR, and Josh Howard's career stats are not nearly as impressive as I would've thought. He's only 9th all time in Wake history in boards and 2nd in steals and doesn't crack the top 10 in any other category.

Irrelevant. He played for Odom a couple years who took the air out of the ball. He then had a high ankle sprain his Junior year that limited his time on court. There was also that stat posted above where he was of only a few ACC players to reach certain milestones in several stat categories.

Again, consensus First Team AA, and ACC POY tells you everything you need to know where he was judged against his peers.

My basic stance is this - retiring a jersey should be extremely rare. The easiest criteria is this - if it is not completely obvious, you don't do it. Questionable? Debateable? Differing reasonable opinions? Then nope - you don't do it.

Assuming Williams wins POY I would absolutely put a banner up that has his name on it and "ACC POY, 2022".

This is a great way of looking at it.

We should not retire any jerseys and make them all “honorable” so other players can wear them. That way we don’t have these stupid debates and when we have a player that does something special (like win ACC POY) we can throw their jersey up there and no one gets their panties in a wad. It doesn’t need to be this super serious sanctimonious celebration. It’s just college kids playing basketball.

We should not retire any jerseys and make them all “honorable” so other players can wear them. That way we don’t have these stupid debates and when we have a player that does something special (like win ACC POY) we can throw their jersey up there and no one gets their panties in a wad. It doesn’t need to be this super serious sanctimonious celebration. It’s just college kids playing basketball.

Agree with this

Why is that? We’ve read all the stats and watched the same videos you saw live.

Given that memories here about Skip Prosser’s years are just dead wrong, it doesn’t seem watching them live made everyone agree. I bet I watched more of CP3 and J Hos games in person than anyone. And I don’t think they should be retired either.

I was using this logic that someone used on the thread about the Joel. (see below)

"Speaking of which, if you have been to a college basketball game on less than 10 campuses, you also shouldn’t have a public opinion."

It does seem to be a bit premature to talk about memorializing this team in the rafters and statues and such, since we’re just now exiting the regular season (in 5th behind some dopey teams like Miami) and don’t know how the postseason will shake out, if it happens at all. That’s about the only bit of DR’s antagonizing that I sorta agree with, now that the emotion of the win is passed.

I think we’re all just really happy to care again and to watch a good group of players that appear to be having a blast in the program.

It does seem to be a bit premature to talk about memorializing this team in the rafters and statues and such, since we’re just now exiting the regular season (in 5th behind some dopey teams like Miami) and don’t know how the postseason will shake out, if it happens at all. That’s about the only bit of DR’s antagonizing that I sorta agree with, now that the emotion of the win is passed.

I think we’re all just really happy to care again and to watch a good group of players that appear to be having a blast in the program.

Which is great. And it’s another reason why it’s no time to be permanently RETIRING jerseys. We need to stay focused on winning the next game.

Back