• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hang it! (Alondes Williams ACC POY, 1st Team All-ACC)

It’s kind of ridiculous to me that older fans of a program that hasn’t been to a final
Four in 60 years would be so stringent about our perceived standard of excellence. Players are remembered for what they accomplished. If Man-Man accomplishes in 1 season more than other Wake greats accomplish in 3 then why shouldn’t his jersey be retired? Alondes came to Wake Forest when he was invited. I’m not saying retire his jersey tomorrow, but for Wake to not honor the ACC POY and presumable All American would be ridiculous.

Of course we should honor and congratulate him. Great work Alondes! ACC POY!

But like so many little known ACC POY's (like last year for instance), much more is needed to permanently RETIRE a number. We finished 5th in the league. Big rise for sure but still 5th.

Now, if this team were to win the ACC tournament or get to the Final Four, my position would be vastly different, especially given the low bar we already have up there.

Likewise, I trust some of you will change your tune if we beat Pitt, lose to Miami, and miss altogether or not even reach the round of 32 in the NCAA tournament.

We have a lot of guys who did great things on many Wake Forest teams that finished 5th in the league.

I say we retire all the numbers and go to emojis. "They need to lay off smiling face with hearts- he can't make those long threes. But face with rolling eyes is killing them inside."

I'm not really a fan of retiring numbers. I'd rather just hang a ManMan jersey in the rafters of our new arena / the bigly updated Joel.

It’s kind of ridiculous to me that older fans of a program that hasn’t been to a final
Four in 60 years would be so stringent about our perceived standard of excellence. Players are remembered for what they accomplished. If Man-Man accomplishes in 1 season more than other Wake greats accomplish in 3 then why shouldn’t his jersey be retired? Alondes came to Wake Forest when he was invited. I’m not saying retire his jersey tomorrow, but for Wake to not honor the ACC POY and presumable All American would be ridiculous.

Sadly I expect him to get snubbed on the All American teams. I just saw the "Field of 68" released their 3 teams and Banchero was only ACC player on there (3rd team). I think the trend of him not being on the lists will continue.

much more is needed to permanently RETIRE a number.

Am I missing something? The debate of this thread is regarding hanging the Jersey from the rafters, not retiring the number. There’s plenty of room in the rafters at the Joel to hang all of our ACC POYs and First Team All Americans. It’s makes perfect sense for a program of our stature to give greater attention to individual accolades with our relative lack of team accolades.

ManMan isn't going to be 1st Team All-American tho, I don't think.

Am I missing something? The debate of this thread is regarding hanging the Jersey from the rafters, not retiring the number. There’s plenty of room in the rafters at the Joel to hang all of our ACC POYs and First Team All Americans. It’s makes perfect sense for a program of our stature to give greater attention to individual accolades with our relative lack of team accolades.

Wake Forest has never honored jersey but they have retired numbers.

Wake has not previously "honored" any players/jerseys except by retiring that number permanently. Maybe that needs to change.

All the numbers on the jerseys in the rafters are permanently retired.

Player of the Year and Coach of the Year, EASILY. Huge deal for the program! Our first POY since Josh Howard 2002-2003. Now 11 POY awards overall, only behind Duke (18) and UNC (15).

First Team - LOL at Boeheim over Aluma.

Second Team - great to see Jake get recognition

Defensive Team/Most Improved - was hoping Zay would get some love

Sixth Man - nice to see Sy RV

Mucius has a very interesting case. A quick look at his numbers would suggest he hasn't improved. He has slightly fewer points on the same FG% and about one less shot a game. But he's much more efficient. He shoots far more threes had a much better clip and has very strong 2-point FG%. He went from being an erratic scorer on a bad team to an efficient clutch scorer on a good team. That's not going to win MIP, but it's certainly important improvement.

I am definitely in favor of having an "honored" category and including ManMan. There are also a few other names which belong in that category.

I am also in favor of a few years from now sliding some of the retired numbers back in to the honored category. We can do that after some of these folks die. Yes, it is allowed and no one will really care and we will be doing the right thing by being intellectually honest. It's easy to just say our only AD at the time didn't understand and move along. It will be a minor story.

Mucius has a very interesting case. A quick look at his numbers would suggest he hasn't improved. He has slightly fewer points on the same FG% and about one less shot a game. But he's much more efficient. He shoots far more threes had a much better clip and has very strong 2-point FG%. He went from being an erratic scorer on a bad team to an efficient clutch scorer on a good team. That's not going to win MIP, but it's certainly important improvement.

he is an MIP, POY, etc. in terms of vibes, but you're right that it doesn't show up in the box score

I agree.

Should we retroactively honor deserving players- like Billy Packer, Bob Leonard, Frank Johnson, etc?

yes - why not

I know Skip said "never delay gratitude" but I think he'd also agree with "It's never too late to show gratitude"

yes - why not

I know Skip said "never delay gratitude" but I think he'd also agree with "It's never too late to show gratitude"

Yep. And with a new AD, this would be the perfect time to do so. It would create even more good will about the program.

Among the many good changes under Currie is how they recognize former players when they attend games.

Yep. And with a new AD, this would be the perfect time to do so. It would create even more good will about the program.

Among the many good changes under Currie is how they recognize former players when they attend games.

we have had so many amazing players come through this program

it's ridiculous that we don't celebrate all of them

when you look at the success that our players have had in the NBA, overseas, and after basketball, then you realize just how special our program can be with the right leadership

Back