• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hang it! (Alondes Williams ACC POY, 1st Team All-ACC)

Jesus Chris, dude. I know you're partially trolling, but come on. Vibes are good around our program right now. Why do you always roll in hyping up Duke and talking about our coach dying in every other post? Can you just not do this anymore?

Regarding dook love and a smaller arena:

If I were currently a student I would much rather have empty seats in the upper deck than to have to sleep in a tent in order to attend a game.

If Alondes wins ACCPOY, and we do well in the ACCT and NCAAT, he should be considered. Josh Howard was an unanimous ACCPOY and we won the ACC regular season. He was also a 4 year player. IMO, John Collins was much better than Alondes but he had a shit coach and finished a close second in POY voting to an undeserving Dukie.

"No one spoke up saying retiring Howard and Skip's jerseys were a bad idea."

"No one has ever complained that the Joel is too big."

Actual lines to me from high ranking Wake officials through the years. I assured them they would never be able to say that again.

It does Tim Duncan a major disservice to have Bogues and Brown and even Griffin up there.

Bogues isn’t even the best #14 in program history. By all objective standards, Frank Johnson’s college career was much better.

Too much emotion went in to some of these Jersey retirements. Chris Paul became great after leaving us and gave a bunch of money, ok let’s retire that years later?

Skip Brown is a first class adult and really nice to folks? Ok let’s hang that up too 30 years later?? WTH

Worst post of all time. A person who wishes he had attended Duke for undergrad (see News and Record article 2018) and never saw Griffin, Brown or Bogues play is an authority on who should be in the rafters. All three belong there and it’s not even worth debating. Just go away.

Paul would absolutely not be retired at Duke or Carolina.

They have objective criteria for retiring jerseys, as we should, and he absolutely meets none of the criteria.

Chris is a great fella, supporter, and one of the greatest basketball players ever.

His college career sucked. We lost horribly both his years. 0-1 in the ACC tournament. He got suspended and then left us after telling us he wouldn't. Justin Gray had a better college career.

Shouldn't our retired jerseys ONLY be about what you did in college? CP3 was a two year player who was not even the best college player on his team. No one would have advocated retiring his number when he left.

“We lost horribly during both of his years” lolololololololololololololoolololol. Ranked #1 in the nation during sophomore year and NCAAT both years. Some of the best games in the history of the Joel were during those 2 years. But yeah, we lost horribly. GTFO😂😂😂

This. I'm sure they meant a gold medal while at dook, not when in the NBA. Of course, with the way dook NBA careers go ....

IIRC JoHo had that high ankle sprain in his Jr. year.

Muggsy had no one on his team to pass to, when you consider that, it's amazing he got assists at all.

If Alondes had these numbers and we were in 13th that would relate to Muggsy and his era.

If Mugs had played at Duke or UNC, we would have been first team AA for 3 years. We had decent talent (Rudd, Green, Cline, Thomas — and won at #1 Duke) during his sophomore year but were awful during his last 2 years. He dominated games at 5’3”. Mugs was amazing. But, of course, DR never saw him play. Not once.

DR is a lot of things, but he is a Deacon to the core.

Not really. He’s a Dookie. News and Record article 2018. Quoted as saying he wanted to go to Duke, didn’t get in so went to WFU until he fulfilled his dream by going to law school there. Finally made it to Duke.

Not really. He’s a Dookie. News and Record article 2018. Quoted as saying he wanted to go to Duke, didn’t get in so went to WFU until he fulfilled his dream by going to law school there. Finally made it to Duke.

I’m no psychiatrist, but this does kind of explain a lot.

DR thinks practice development means buying space on a bunch of billboards and bus stop benches. You'll forgive me if I don't elevate his opinion about anything above my own, unless of course i need a neck brace.

LOL

I would not have retired Howard's jersey or CP's jersey and I would not retire Williams'. We should figure out another way to honor players who deserve recognition but don't reach the level of jersey retirement.
Muggsy is a tough one - he was the only truly unique player to ever play college basketball in America. There has never been a player that was more enjoyable to watch as a fan, or more frustrating to play against, as an opponent. He left his heart on the court every game and did it for 4 years for Wake Forest - and he left as ACC career leader in two different statistical categories. I was OK with his retirement at the time, but there was admittedly a lot of emotion involved.

Given the circumstances surrounding the last 10 years, if Williams is ACCPOY and we make the Tournament and win 2-3 more games in the ACC and NCAA, I’m on board with retiring/hanging his jersey.

Back