• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Happy Birthday - Muhammed Ali

Ali_1346231137.gif

One of the most brutal fights was against Ernie Terrell who called Ali "Cassius Clay". Ali could have taken him out at any time after about the fourth round, but the Champ chose to just beat Terrell. After almost every big punch Ali would ask, "What's my name?"

Ali beat on him for fifteen rounds asking that question every round.

I got to meet him in the locker room of the Salem Civic Center (VA) when I was about 9 or 10. That would have been in the early 70's. He was fighting an exhibition fight, and it wasn't that long after he skipped out of Vietnam. I think he had recently lost to Frazier, but I can't remember. Anyway, he was nice to me, but I recall that he wasn't very popular at the time. I think he went over the line a little on Frazier....I recall him calling him an animal and stuff like that. But I agree he was the greatest.

I think he called Frazier a monkey and a gorilla...something about beating the gorilla in the Thrilla in Manilla

Back