• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Harbaugh to Michigan

What does Harbaugh have to do with Saban? Saban was unsuccessful as an NFL coach and that is the reason he returned to collage. You can hardly say the same thing about Harbaugh.

Sorry, didn't explain my comparison. Both Harbaugh and Saban have abrasive personalities that are ill suited to stay in 1 place in the NFL for a long period of time. Granted it took Harbs a few years to lose his players along with his front office, whereas it only took Saban a few months in Miami. Harbs hasn't stayed in 1 place long yet, and if he stays in the NFL, he'll be like Parcells going from team to team - rebuilding reclamation projects and then moving on. But if he goes back to college, I can see him at Michigan for 10-20 years.

He was just as abrasive in collage as he had been in San Fran. Both Stanford and San Diego were ready for him to go when he did.

He was just as abrasive in collage as he had been in San Fran. Both Stanford and San Diego were ready for him to go when he did.
San Diego loved him, they would have kept him around

I bet Harbaugh has them competitive in at least two years. They have had decent recruiting classes under Hoke. Hopefully some of those kids will pan out and fit into his system. Shaping up perfectly for grad school there in a few years!

Well the 15 class is ranked 90th, literally last in the B1G and the cupboard is pretty empty. But OK...

I thought the past few were fairly decent? did not know that about the 15' class

He had one good class tbh.

The 15 class has a ton of decommits as the season ended and Hoke got fired so that could turn around.

Two good classes. I think a lot of the skill guys in those classes haven't seen the field yet or were injured, so my "cupboard is bare" might have been prejudged. 14 and 15 are not gonna be great classes.

Did not know that Stanford did not care for him.
Regardless, he made them into a good team............a very good team.
Think they had 1 loss and were ranked #4 his final year.

Huh? Atlanta, Chicago and the NYGiants would all probably take Harbaugh. Those are jobs all with cupboard half full.

Im calling bullshit on this done deal stuff. Why would he not wait one more week to see what opens in the NFL? Michigan isn't going anywhere.

Jets....yes. Giants....never

Seems a little weird that he didn't wait to see if SF would fire him. Michigan would have waited, and isn't there at least the possibility that he could be collecting two paychecks next year?

Seems a little weird that he didn't wait to see if SF would fire him. Michigan would have waited, and isn't there at least the possibility that he could be collecting two paychecks next year?

Most contracts have offset language if the coach is fired. So hypothetically, if fired, Harbaugh would get paid by San Fran his SF 2015 salary minus whatever he makes at his new job. In Jim's case, he'll make more at his new job so he wouldn't be owed anything by SF.

Most contracts have offset language if the coach is fired. So hypothetically, if fired, Harbaugh would get paid by San Fran his SF 2015 salary minus whatever he makes at his new job. In Jim's case, he'll make more at his new job so he wouldn't be owed anything by SF.

I see. For some reason I thought these sort of things often only apply if he were to take another NFL job.

That sucks, cause you gain nothing by working opposed to sitting on your ass and playing golf in most cases where you aren't getting a higher paid job

Back