• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Has anyone considered Childress?

Buyout money? Billy Packer knows where Blackbeard buried his fucking gold. What I am saying here is that Billy Packer is old.

But you say deaconclub money is scarce these days. A successful treasure hunter type could easily work in the interim. And if we're looking to go in a different direction as far as our coach's ability to relate to the youth of today, I can think of no one that resonates in urban america more than Billy Packer these days.

What about Curtis Strange? He has great leadership qualities and experience in big games...let the usa to a 2nd place finish in the ryder cup. Also very charismatic as evidenced by his analyst experience over the years on ABC/ESPN. Very connected in the TV world...with Strange you would be getting a combination of Stevens and Gottfried with a Wake background.

Sticking my neck out here and I'm sure the wanna be pundits and local stat crunchers here will have a field day with this one. Has anyone found it ironic that WFU "created" a position for RC as Ron's assistant. Did Ron really need an assistant? Is it too far fetched to imagine that they created that position for Childress to keep him cozy and his wallet full until Bzz's contract is up. Maybe Bzz just filled a position for a short time till RC was ready. Hmmmm! Just letting my imagination run wild hoping to find a light at the end of the tunnel...and I hope it's not a train. Oh well, let the thrashing commence....

I am not going to rip you for it because a lot of people have considered that.

In my opinion the answer is no. I don't think Childress is our next head coach. I think the chances are when we either make a coaching change or one of our assistants leave the current staff, Childress will look to become an assistant and start building experience. Could he one day be our head coach way down the road? Yes. But not right now.

I mean, the answer is just no.

It's a bad PR move, it's a bad AD move, and it's a bad coaching move. HC's with 0 coaching experience rarely turn out well. When said HC is a local legend and alum, well that makes it all the less likely that he'll be our HC anytime in the near future.

This is by no means unique to our fanbase, but I find it interesting how clouded judgements get when people have so much passion about a situation. Didn't everyone who wasn't associated with NC State and could look at their program objectively know that Sidney Lowe wasn't a great hire from the second it was announced? Yet their fanbase was generally all geeked up about it.

I could give two $hits about the red sportcoat or The Shot - I just want someone who is going to give me reason to make an effort to watch a Wake game.

Terrible idea. I hope our next coach has some good credentials, a winning record, and some tourney experience. As much as I like and respect what Childress did for WFU, hiring his as HC with 0 experience would be more head scratching than the Bzzzz hiring.

This is by no means unique to our fanbase, but I find it interesting how clouded judgements get when people have so much passion about a situation. Didn't everyone who wasn't associated with NC State and could look at their program objectively know that Sidney Lowe wasn't a great hire from the second it was announced? Yet their fanbase was generally all geeked up about it.

I could give two $hits about the red sportcoat or The Shot - I just want someone who is going to give me reason to make an effort to watch a Wake game.

They hated Herb similar to the way some fans, not all, didn't like Dino. Herb wasn't fired obivously but never satisfied State fans. My point is I think they were so excited to have someone else they thought Sidney would work out.

Last edited:
If Chill became HC, he would get so mad at how bad the players were playing, and check himself into the game and show the how its done

What about Curtis Strange? He has great leadership qualities and experience in big games...let the usa to a 2nd place finish in the ryder cup. Also very charismatic as evidenced by his analyst experience over the years on ABC/ESPN. Very connected in the TV world...with Strange you would be getting a combination of Stevens and Gottfried with a Wake background.

lol even with the typo

If he wasn't brought in exclusively by Ron Wellman, one might consider if he's been brought in to move vertically from his current position rather than the coaching side of things. I doubt it would be in any quick timeframe however if that was the intent.

I don't think you should ever hire a former player under almost any circumstances at a high major program, particuarly an alum with zero collegeiate coaching experience. Why? It is simply too painful to fire them when things don't work out. Exhibit A: NC State. Lowe should've been fired years before he was, but he was an alum so it was a long painful process. Carolina with Roy is a completely different scenario as like or not, he was already a proven Head Coach at a top tier program and it's not like he was the star that Chill or Sidney was, I don't think he even ever made the Varsity, meaning it wouldn't be THAT painful to let him go if he didn't work out.

Face it- it's going to be extremely painful if we have to let Rusty go even as an assistant. He is one of the most beloved athletes in WF History. I'm worried that will eventually happen- I mean one of these days we are going to have to do an all out clean house to really "change the culture."

Fred Hoiberg doing pretty well in year two at his alma mater despite no prior coaching experience, but Wake isn't Iowa State.

I can see them prepping Chill to be AD. He made a statement to the paper that he wasn't sure if he wanted to be in coaching or admin.

Back