• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Has anyone here ever ridden the Virginia Creeper Trail in SW VA?

scooter84

Jack Campbell
Reaction score
The trail goes from Abingdon to the top of White Top mountain - 35 mi one way, I believe. Damascus is about the half-way point and you can take a shuttle from there to the top and ride back down (17 mi or so). I was wondering how strenuous it really is going up the mountain... or riding between Damascus and Abingdon. I would like to arrange a weekend for 2-4 couples to go up and do the ride - we would be a mixed bag of riders - ranging from very experienced and fit to neither.

I was thinking it would be fun to start in Damascus, take the shuttle to the top, ride back to Damascus. Then the less-fit part of the group could drive ahead to Abingdon and check into a B&B or something while the others ride their bikes to Abingdon. Then we could all meet up, shower, eat dinner and take in a show at the Barter theatre and then spend the night... Doesn't that sound like fun?

The trail is supposed to be beautiful... Early fall should be really nice.

if you're going down, there's no reason that the less fit people couldn't do it too. you don't really have to work at all.

I believe I hiked and biked this on a Boy Scout trip when I was younger, though I think we only went as far as Damascus. It's an old railroad bed so it's a really easy grade, but I also only did the downhill part. I would imagine that going up isn't going to be like the Alps or anything, but it will just be a very slight uphill that lasts for 20 miles. It was a very pretty hike/ride though so I'd think you would enjoy it.

I've done it with my kids. The ride down has great scenery and is not difficult at all.

As everyone has said it's an easy ride, if your going down the mountain. The real challenge is going up the mountain on bike and then enjoying the ride down.

I've done it with my kids.

1309422978-37.jpg

I live in Abingdon. Run a very short part of the trail a few times a week. Bike it sometimes. The trip from white top to Damascus isn't bad, downhill the entire way. Damascus to Abingdon is uphill. Feels hard because it's the end of my ride. But the trail, I'm told, is a 2% grade. Let me know if you have other questions.

Last edited:
I am sure people have. If not, it wouldn't be a trail, as nature would have overgrown it and taken it back. What a silly question.

I am sure people have. If not, it wouldn't be a trail, as nature would have overgrown it and taken it back. What a silly question.

Big10 quality material. Leave it on the Suque.

see, that would be funny if I had asked if "anyone"
had ridden the trail... but, I anticipated your smart aleck remark and asked if "anyone here" had ridden the trail...

well either you changed it or I drink too much or both lol

Just wanted to put in a major plug for Abingdon. Great restaurants at Rain, The Inn and others. Great milk shakes and burgers at Pop Ellis Soda Shoppe and Grill. When I was there about a year ago a met a short, fat, bald man leaving the Hampton Inn. He was leaving with a tall, beautiful black woman with a smokin' body. Judge me if you like, but had to assume it was a business transaction. He was quite unattractive....,

Just wanted to put in a major plug for Abingdon. Great restaurants at Rain, The Inn and others. Great milk shakes and burgers at Pop Ellis Soda Shoppe and Grill. When I was there about a year ago a met a short, fat, bald man leaving the Hampton Inn. He was leaving with a tall, beautiful black woman with a smokin' body. Judge me if you like, but had to assume it was a business transaction. He was quite unattractive....,

I would agree r. e Abingdon. We've lived here just over a year and really enjoy it. Will add that the Tavern is a great restaurant and so are Peppermill and 128 Pecan. Lot going on for a small Appalachian town. Barter puts on some very high quality plays if you're into that sort of thing.

To the OP - there was a thread on this a year or so ago if you care to look it up for any additional info.

We camped at the state park near there (grayson highlands), hiked around the area (saw some wild ponies, etc.) and rode the trail. It's a beautiful place. We'd love to go back someday. IIRC, there's 1-2 places online to read about the trail and various stopping off points. Take your time. Avoid the most crowded times. Enjoy.

Meant to do a marathon out there, but got injured. It was a 10 dollar marathon, so big deal.

Back