• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Have bean counters and MBAs harmed American business?

I don't know what kind of results the MA has in the job market to be honest with you. Theoretically it's going to give you skills that you would not already have and would be useful to have. It should put you ahead for investment banks, consulting, etc because those firms usually hire people with straight liberal arts degrees (but they're also all about the connections).

I'd probably go for a MBA, especially if you can get the GI bill to pay for it. Something worth noting, a Wake Forest MBA costs about 50% as much as a Duke, UNC, UVa, etc MBA (those schools are more highly regarded).

I don't know what kind of results the MA has in the job market to be honest with you. Theoretically it's going to give you skills that you would not already have and would be useful to have. It should put you ahead for investment banks, consulting, etc because those firms usually hire people with straight liberal arts degrees (but they're also all about the connections).

I'd probably go for a MBA, especially if you can get the GI bill to pay for it. Something worth noting, a Wake Forest MBA costs about 50% as much as a Duke, UNC, UVa, etc MBA (those schools are more highly regarded).

From what I am able to pull up, the only US News ranked MBA that's online and has an international business concentration is Indiana.

My thinking is that the international concentration would be important in a world where an MBA doesn't really seem to have the value it used to and the global nature of the business world today...does anyone think I'm wrong about that?

If you are thinknig about doing that, while you are still in the military you should invest in a couple of Rosetta Stone courses.

If you are going to stay in this hemisphere, you'll need to know Spanish and especially Portuguese.

Brazil will continue to expand and has about 40% of the population of Latin/South America.

If you are thinknig about doing that, while you are still in the military you should invest in a couple of Rosetta Stone courses.

If you are going to stay in this hemisphere, you'll need to know Spanish and especially Portuguese.

Brazil will continue to expand and has about 40% of the population of Latin/South America.

Sound advice.

If you are going to do international business, the nuts and bolts of business are easy. Everyone knows what they want and whether your have it or not.

What's more important is learning their cultures and the culture of how the country with whom you are doing business does business.

If you go in acting like you do in the US, they will be very nice to you to your face. But you won't get the business.

It doesn't matter if you are doing business with a small fry in Belize or Toyota. yiu have to be aware of what's ikmportant to them.

it's not all about dollars and cents. If you think it it, you're done before you start.

I definitely agree with the foreign language thing. I took 4 years of Spanish in HS but would definitely need to do more to get it back and then build on it.

Portuguese I have almost no experience with.

Brazil's GDP is likely more than the rest of South America combined as well as more than double that of Mexico.

Add to this that Brazil is growing quickly. You'll need Portuguese.

Wake used to offer an MBA as a one year tack-on to an undergrad degree. There's been a big push by the MBA community at large to get rid of any program that is not a 2+ year time commitment in an effort to stem the watering down of the MBA degree (not like it isn't plenty watered down already).

I'm assuming this is just something to replace that gap. It would probably look good on top of an Econ or Comp Sci degree, or carry the weight of a 2nd major. If an English major took a one-year program instead of getting an actual MBA, I probably wouldn't think very highly of it.

OK let me bring it down.

Would this be a reasonable alternative to an MBA? Could get I get a decent job in this economy with it? (I'm fine with relocating wherever in the world I have to) I have two humanities bachelor's, and have about 3 years left in the military (or I could re-enlist...but keeping it simple). Is this worth it to me or should I just go and get an MBA at a cheaper school? I doubt I could do a full MBA while working in less than the time I have left in the military, but a program like this 1 year thing I might.

I am not a Wake Forest grad.

Quick note, MBA programs LOVE people with a military background. So you might be able to work out a scholarship as well.

RJ, I feel like you're attacking me with the title of this thread. Booooo....

Back