• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Have we taken a single charge this season?

Bubble Boy

Reaction score
Granted, I haven't seen every minute of every game, but I honesty cannot remember us taking one single charge this season. I've seen plenty of opponents blow by our on-ball defenders or go straight to the rim in transition. And I have seen plenty of "help" defenders either stand by as they watch said opponent go unimpeded to the hoop or pick up a foul on a late reach-in or block attempt. But I seriously can't remember one time this year, where on off-ball defender saw that an opponent was driving to the rim and successfully moved to block his path in a timely manner.

Obviously this is not the most important shortcoming on this team, but it is something that has bugged me more and more as the season has progressed. And I am not advocating for lame Battier-esque flopping, but it would be nice to see better team and transition defense.

Last edited:
Yes. Travis/Tyler/Coron have each drawn 1. Wake's opponents have drawn 13.

Given the rule changes, it is more difficult for the help defender to get in position quickly enough to get a charge call. That said, I think your premise is sound in that no one on the team really attempts to draw them this season.

I bet a couple of those were really more of the offensive player lowering his shoulder as he goes up for a shot variety. I have really been struck at just how bad our transition defense is. A lot of times we will have a defender or two back around the hoop, and they will still just let the ballhandler go straight to the rim, either going with a futile attempt at a block or a lazy swipe at the ball.

I bet a couple of those were really more of the offensive player lowering his shoulder as he goes up for a shot variety. I have really been struck at just how bad our transition defense is. A lot of times we will have a defender or two back around the hoop, and they will still just let the ballhandler go straight to the rim, either going with a futile attempt at a block or a lazy swipe at the ball.

Amazing considering that we never have anyone under the boards fighting for offensive rebounds. You'd think at the least they'd all be back in defensive position.

So, there's another problem with bzzz: he isn't teaching our players how to flop convincingly. Sheesh!

Not really an option thus year with the new rules. It is a low percentage play. Duke is not even getting that call. Plenty of of other things to criticize if that is your intent.

Not really an option thus year with the new rules. It is a low percentage play. Duke is not even getting that call. Plenty of of other things to criticize if that is your intent.

We prolly have Coach Relationships to credit with this rule change, like Deano with the coaching box. But yeah, we're not seeing many charges called at all, even when guys have been set in place before the shooter goes up. It's just not being called. Well, that and our help D has been awful under Buzzdick, and we don't rotate well enough to be in position to take a charge. And it would be nice if the reason we don't rotate well is we're trying to get rebounding position, but that's not the case either.

I am good with the lack of charging calls on drives to the basket. It is not really a basketball play. Guard your man, block the shot or get out of the way. Same deal on offense. It has probably shifted too far the other way-prefer the no call.

We have thrown a whole lot of illegal picks, though.

I am good with the lack of charging calls on drives to the basket. It is not really a basketball play. Guard your man, block the shot or get out of the way. Same deal on offense. It has probably shifted too far the other way-prefer the no call.

Keeping him from getting where he wants to go and taking a charge when he insists on going there anyway IS guarding your man.

Given the rule changes, it is more difficult for the help defender to get in position quickly enough to get a charge call. That said, I think your premise is sound in that no one on the team really attempts to draw them this season.

One of my biggest problem with the rule change. It seems like every game I yell 'charge' at the TV at least 5 times that are called blocks. The new rules have simply taken the charge out of the game which is a shame in my opinion. As a player (and a coach) I took great pride in help side defense. Now unless you can block a shot, you are rendered almost useless as a helpside defender. Because any sort of contact is going to be called a foul on the defense.

I understand the hand checking to free up the game, but they shouldn't have neutered the helpside defender.

Like you said, taking charges is no longer a sound strategy unless the defensive player sees it coming a mile away.

Back