• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Have you been paying attention to the last decade of Men's Basketball?

HailToTheDeacons

Fantasy Sheep Champion
Reaction score
We're five days away basketball season. Since discussion and interest appear low, let's play a game and ramp up the excitement. Credit to bmoney for this idea:

It would be a fun, albeit depressing, game to list 20 random ass terrible schools with 10 being ones we lost to and 10 being ones we didn't and see how many the average poster could get right.

Below is a list of 20 teams we've played in the last 9 years. Without google or viewing other responses, can you correctly identify the wins and losses?
It's not necessarily a 10W/10L split; we played a few of these teams multiple times since Fall 2010.

Colgate
Delaware State
Drake
Gardner-Webb
Georgia Southern
Hampton
Houston Baptist
Iona
Liberty
Marist
Mercer
Nicholls State
Presbyterian
Quinnipiac
Radford
Samford
Stetson
UNC-Wilmington
Winthrop
Wofford

We're five days away basketball season. Since discussion and interest appear low, let's play a game and ramp up the excitement. Credit to bmoney for this idea:

Below is a list of 20 teams we've played in the last 9 years. Without google or viewing other responses, can you correctly identify the wins and losses?
It's not necessarily a 10W/10L split; we played a few of these teams multiple times since Fall 2010.

Colgate
Delaware State
Drake
Gardner-Webb
Georgia Southern
Hampton
Houston Baptist
Iona
Liberty
Marist
Mercer
Nicholls State
Presbyterian
Quinnipiac
Radford
Samford
Stetson
UNC-Wilmington
Winthrop
Wofford

That's a bigger understatement than saying the Titanic hit a little patch of ice.

I know we didn't lose to Colgate, Marist, Mercer (barely), or Radford. I don't remember if we lost to Winthrop or Liberty. I don't even remember playing Samford so I guess we didn't lose?

Colgate W
Delaware State L
Drake W
Gardner-Webb L
Georgia Southern W
Hampton W
Houston Baptist L
Iona L
Liberty L
Marist W
Mercer W
Nicholls State W
Presbyterian L
Quinnipiac W
Radford L
Samford W
Stetson L
UNC-Wilmington L
Winthrop L
Wofford W

Fun exercise. I feel like I follow Wake bball decently well... I may not have watched all of these games but I will check score lines. Although my viewership has dramatically decreased since 2010.

Having to list an L by any of those teams is a problem, much less several.

WF definitely lost to Liberty two years ago as part of an awesome 0-3 start to the season. I remember beating Quinnipiac (hooray) to end that streak. Don't remember WF ever losing to Winthrop, which may explain why WF scrimmaged them. WF did somehow lose to Delaware State.

KenPom rank to start the 2019 season of these teams:

Colgate - 115
Delaware State -352 (this loss is probably Wake's worst loss ever in basketball and maybe any sport)
Drake - 150
Gardner-Webb -205
Georgia Southern - 126
Hampton -221
Houston Baptist - 282
Iona -183
Liberty - 88 (!!!)
Marist - 338
Mercer - 188
Nicholls State - 294
Presbyterian - 290
Quinnipiac - 267
Radford - 137
Samford - 128
Stetson -329
UNC-Wilmington - 266
Winthrop - 219
Wofford - 121

What a collection of teams

Well, I learned this morning that we lost to Georgia Southern two years ago in a game of which I have no recollection.

Shouldn't losing to Houston-Baptist or Presbyterian be grounds for firing the head coach on the spot?

WF definitely lost to Liberty two years ago as part of an awesome 0-3 start to the season. I remember beating Quinnipiac (hooray) to end that streak. Don't remember WF ever losing to Winthrop, which may explain why WF scrimmaged them. WF did somehow lose to Delaware State.

lol yea I remember we celebrated sarcastically in the parking lot where we were gearing up for the State football game.

Shouldn't losing to Houston-Baptist or Presbyterian be grounds for firing the head coach on the spot?

Most would say that turning in your worst team in Y5, a team much worse than [Redacted]'s last two teams that got him fired, would be grounds for firing...but most people aren't Ron Wellman.

KenPom rank to start the 2019 season of these teams:

Colgate - 115
Delaware State -352 (this loss is probably Wake's worst loss ever in basketball and maybe any sport)
Drake - 150
Gardner-Webb -205
Georgia Southern - 126
Hampton -221
Houston Baptist - 282
Iona -183
Liberty - 88 (!!!)
Marist - 338
Mercer - 188
Nicholls State - 294
Presbyterian - 290
Quinnipiac - 267
Radford - 137
Samford - 128
Stetson -329
UNC-Wilmington - 266
Winthrop - 219
Wofford - 121

What a collection of teams

Delaware State was an awful loss, but in 2015, Delaware State (#262) was better than Houston Baptist (#281) last year. Also, WF somehow blew a 6 point lead with 42 seconds left against HBU. At that point, WF's win probability was 99.5%. Gosh, this is getting me soooooo excited for the hoop season.

On my phone, but...

L on Delaware State, Drake, Gardner-Webb, Georgia Southern, Houston Baptist, Iona, Presby, Stetson, UNC Wilmington, and Winthrop. W on the others (I don’t remember playing some of the others but who knows).

Shit, that’s right, we did lose to Liberty.

Really really really hoping there aren't any near suicidal Deacon fans on this board today as this would easily put them over the edge.....

not really. i pay attention to the Boards when the season starts - does that count?

Colgate
Delaware State- L
Drake- L
Gardner-Webb- L
Georgia Southern- L
Hampton
Houston Baptist- L
Iona- L x 2 (Ionized under Bzz on the same day as the ND football game, timeout game under Danny)
Liberty- L
Marist
Mercer
Nicholls State
Presbyterian- L
Quinnipiac
Radford
Samford
Stetson- L
UNC-Wilmington- L
Winthrop- L
Wofford- L

I came up with two extra. I hate-watched in the Bzz era, so I feel more confident about those, as opposed to the apathy of the last few years

Colgate W
Delaware State L
Drake L
Gardner-Webb L
Georgia Southern L
Hampton W
Houston Baptist L
Iona L
Liberty L
Marist W
Mercer W
Nicholls State W
Presbyterian L
Quinnipiac W
Radford W
Samford W
Stetson L
UNC-Wilmington W
Winthrop W
Wofford L

Without looking/hint:

Colgate: W
Delaware State: L (oh I remember this one)
Drake: L
Gardner-Webb:
Georgia Southern: L (I had hopes for the season before this game; brutal)
Hampton:
Houston Baptist: L (hilarious)
Iona
Liberty: L
Marist
Mercer
Nicholls State
Presbyterian
Quinnipiac
Radford
Samford
Stetson: L
UNC-Wilmington
Winthrop
Wofford

Colgate W (11-8-2013)
Delaware State L (11-28-2014)
Drake L (11-17-2017)

Gardner-Webb (split) W (12-18-2011) L (12-29-2018)
Georgia Southern (split) W (11-16-2011) L (11-10-2017)

Hampton W (11-15-2010)
Houston Baptist L (11-23-2018)
Iona (two losses) L (11-17-2012) L (11-21-2014)
Liberty L (11-14-2017)

Marist W (11-23-2010)
Mercer W (11-19-2012)
Nicholls State W (11-24-2014)

Presbyterian (split) L (12-21-2010) W (11-15-2013)
Quinnipiac W (11-18-2017)
Radford (two wins) W (11-9-2012) W (11-11-2016)
Samford W (12-14-2014
)
Stetson L (11-12-2010)
UNC-Wilmington (split) L (12-12-2010) W (12-21-2011)
Winthrop L (11-22-2010)
Wofford L (1-2-2012)

Total record: 13-13

Back