• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hawaii Family Vaca

CHDeac

Reaction score
Planning our Hawaii summer vacation. Any suggestions for must do things in Maui with kids (12 & 8). Trying to also figure out where to stay and am thinking a condo on the west side though open to a resort. Will likely spend a few days in Kauai too. As always, appreciate all advice.

The road to Hana probably took weeks off my life since I drove it myself, but there are certainly cool stops along the way, most notably the Pipwai Trail in Halekala national park (the bamboo forest was one of my favorite things on the trip) and also the black sand beach. We went last January and did a whale/dolphin watching/snorkeling tour which was awesome, but I don't think the whales are in the area right now. Sunset at the top of Mount Halekala was very nice, but definitely take warm clothes.

Road to Hana full day road trip is a must.

Mount Haleakala sunrise is cool if you are morning people.

Tons of good restaurants and I'd research the good cheap ones like Coconut's Fish Cafe as the go-to places like Mama's are good but pricey.

someone who has priced it - what's your ballpark cost for a family of 5 from NC to go to Hawaii? $10k?

Where did you stay Bubba?

Right now, its looking like ~10k for 4 of us. I think less if we go cheap on the resort.

Never been to Maui. But I hear their loco moco brok da mout brah!

Echo rubbins. Skip Maui go to Kauai. If you must go to Maui, though, drive up Mt. Haleakala and hope it isn't raining like it was when we went. We did the road to Hana. I enjoyed it but my wife did not. I could see it being a harrowing experience if you aren't comfortable driving on narrow roads or get car sick easily.

There's more to do on Maui, but Kauai is our favorite island - easier to get around and prettier

Maui - The west side is very nice, as is the Wailea-Makena area. Don't be lured by the prices in the Kihei area. The Road to Hana can be done in a private or semi-private van tour, which is easier on whoever would be driving the rental car. The volcano is pretty much a must, but I didn't think sunrise was worth getting up that early, given the crowd on top. A snorkel tour of Molokini and turtle town would be high on my list of things to do with kids.

Kauai - The surf is large in the south of the island during summer, so I'd be prone to stay in the north or maybe the Marriott resort in Lihue if you spring for a room with a view or one of their timeshare condos (1br, 2 ba). The Marriott is centrally located, has a terrific pool with 5 hot tubs, gentle surf beach, and Duke's restaurant on site. Do not stay in the Kappa area. A drive up Waimea Canyon (with a stop at Spouting Horn on the way), a Na Pali coast boat tour (especially one that takes you to The Forbidden Island), visiting the lighthouse (with a stop at the Hanalei Valley lookout for a family photo) and a drive through the eucalyptus tree tunnel (with a stop at Koloa Mill Ice Cream and Coffee afterwards) would be on my list of things to do. Your kids would enjoy the glass beach near Port Allen. Maybe Wailua Falls or Fern Grotto, but I haven't done either. Check to see if the Bali Hai restaurant has reopened. If so, book a reservation for sunset and apologize to your kids as they might be bored - your wife won't as the views are unbelievable.
13.jpg

Wherever you go, I'd skip all luau's (expensive and will bore your kids to death) and never, ever eat any poi. Arrange for a lei greeting upon landing for your wife and any daughters. Skip the resort gift shops and stop at a Hilo Hattie's for all gifts/trinkets. If you plan on doing much snorkeling, are visiting both islands and don't bring your own equipment, use a place where you can rent on one and return at another like Snorkel Bob's. They also rent RX masks.

Last edited:
We stayed at the Marriott timeshare in the Kaanapali development for the Maui Invitational last fall. We have two kids 10 and 12 and thought Kaanapali was perfect - enough to to keep them occupied, able to walk to restaurants, etc. Would definitely stay there again if traveling with kids (probably the Westin or Hyatt instead of Marriott, though); would look to Four Seasons/Ritz, etc if we could ditch them.

Ditch the kids for a night and go to Mama's Fish House if you get a chance.

Stayed at Kapalua (Sp) and it was awesome). My wife won the trip so it was paid for, which made enjoying it even easier. My next door neighbor left this morning and I suggested to her The Bike ride down the Volcano. If you search it a bunch of companies will come up. Saw the price range from $110-$120 a person. Easy ride, pedal twice to get started and then the governor on your bike will kick in. Ride ends at a beautiful beach, and starts at the top next to Ronald Reagan’s STAR WARS PROJECT.

As mentioned above, the road to Hana is a must!

Stayed at Kapalua (Sp) and it was awesome). My wife won the trip so it was paid for, which made enjoying it even easier. My next door neighbor left this morning and I suggested to her The Bike ride down the Volcano. If you search it a bunch of companies will come up. Saw the price range from $110-$120 a person. Easy ride, pedal twice to get started and then the governor on your bike will kick in. Ride ends at a beautiful beach, and starts at the top next to Ronald Reagan’s STAR WARS PROJECT.

As mentioned above, the road to Hana is a must!

We nixed the bike ride when I checked the 1 star reviews on trip advisor. Lots of broken bones and ruined trips and that road isn't exactly bike friendly.

Do yourself a favor and just ride up it in a car.

We nixed the bike ride when I checked the 1 star reviews on trip advisor. Lots of broken bones and ruined trips and that road isn't exactly bike friendly.

Do yourself a favor and just ride up it in a car.

Agree, especially when there are buses coming the other way and cars driven by oxygen starved tourists who are trying to catch the sights.

Thanks. As my wife noted, this may be the only time we go so are gonna do both Maui and Kauai. Thanks Obama.

Thanks. As my wife noted, this may be the only time we go so are gonna do both Maui and Kauai. Thanks Obama.

How long are you going for? Changing islands is relatively easy, but sucks up a lot of the day.

Back