• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hawaii hates the homeless

I don't even know how to respond to this. That is the most heartless and cruel thing I can imagine. This guy doesn't just deserve to be removed from office...he deserves to be prosecuted.

Hawaii: Our Democrats will kick the shit out of your Republicans.

Completely sickening.

If I saw this happening, I'm pretty sure I know where I would stick that sledgehammer. Bower would never sit right again.

Why haven't the police thrown this piece of shit in jail for destruction of property?

Why haven't the police thrown this piece of shit in jail for destruction of property?

No shit. This is one of those stories I literally had to read twice because I just couldn't believe it was real the first time through. Loved this gem of an update:

"After coverage of Brower’s actions went national, the Democrat agreed to stop destroying homeless people’s possessions. “I’m not trying to attack the homeless. I’m trying to attack the issue of cleanliness, but some people interpreted as an attack on the homeless,” Brower explained to the Honolulu Star-Advertiser. Still, Brower remained defiantly unrepentant. “The point that I was trying to make has been made. Now that the issue of shopping carts is on our minds, the question is are we going to move forward and try to solve it or just let it become status quo.”"

Guy is a Grade A Douchebag.

I liked the part where he said he hadn't taken any carts from people, he only vandalized the carts when the homeless were away from them. So he's not only a bully, but also a coward.

Just to provide a little back story, especially in light of the thread title, but many of Hawaii's homeless end up there because mainland cities and states buy them one way plane tickets. It had widely been suspected, but they finally found proof of it sometime around 2008 (can't find a news link, but I was there at the time and remember it distinctly). So, apart from the usual issues that surround homelessness, these people are also largely viewed as outsiders, which partly explains why the state is trying to ship so many people back to CONUS.

Of course, none of that excuses what this guy is doing. He sounds like a criminal and should be treated as such.

I'm not particularly outraged about this like some of you, but I do find it to be a pretty fucked up thing to do. Would be one thing if he returned the carts because they were stolen, but he destroys them, meaning he is destroying property that isn't his (or the homeless dude's).

As pointed out above, though, Hawaii hates outsiders. If cities are shipping these guys off to Honolulu, that's probably the shittiest thing in this entire story (along with Honolulu shipping them back).

I'm not particularly outraged about this like some of you

i131120heathcliff.jpg

Just to provide a little back story, especially in light of the thread title, but many of Hawaii's homeless end up there because mainland cities and states buy them one way plane tickets. It had widely been suspected, but they finally found proof of it sometime around 2008 (can't find a news link, but I was there at the time and remember it distinctly). So, apart from the usual issues that surround homelessness, these people are also largely viewed as outsiders, which partly explains why the state is trying to ship so many people back to CONUS.

Of course, none of that excuses what this guy is doing. He sounds like a criminal and should be treated as such.

Shipping the homeless happens all the time. The town I grew up in, frequently received homeless individuals who were given a bus or train ticket from Charlotte or Winston. It was very well known that both cities shipped their homeless there. Living in winston and watching how they handle their homeless is very frustrating for me. I see the same ones every day on the corner and then I also know how many are shipped out daily from winston salem. I wonder how many of the ones on the street corner have been refused entry. I know that many that are refused entry have drug problems, but more cities need to step up and begin the rehabilitation process. Giving them a bus ticket or destroying their shelter won't help them not be homeless.

Atlanta did it for the Olympics.

Shipping the homeless happens all the time. The town I grew up in, frequently received homeless individuals who were given a bus or train ticket from Charlotte or Winston. It was very well known that both cities shipped their homeless there. Living in winston and watching how they handle their homeless is very frustrating for me. I see the same ones every day on the corner and then I also know how many are shipped out daily from winston salem. I wonder how many of the ones on the street corner have been refused entry. I know that many that are refused entry have drug problems, but more cities need to step up and begin the rehabilitation process. Giving them a bus ticket or destroying their shelter won't help them not be homeless.

I understand what you're saying, but there's a very large practical difference between a mainland US city sending their homeless to another mainland US city and sending them to Honolulu. Once they're in Honolulu, they're pretty much stuck there.

I understand what you're saying, but there's a very large practical difference between a mainland US city sending their homeless to another mainland US city and sending them to Honolulu. Once they're in Honolulu, they're pretty much stuck there.
You're looking at just Hawaii. I'm looking at the big picture, perhaps because I am involved with multiple organizations that help the homeless. Yes it's an issue that they are shipped to Hawaii. But instead of shipping off our homeless, including our homeless veterans, I wish others would focus on rehabilitation.

You're looking at just Hawaii. I'm looking at the big picture, perhaps because I am involved with multiple organizations that help the homeless. Yes it's an issue that they are shipped to Hawaii. But instead of shipping off our homeless, including our homeless veterans, I wish others would focus on rehabilitation.

I agree with you totally. I was just commenting that the problem becomes a little more difficult for Hawaii to deal with when homeless are shipped there as opposed to any other city on the continental US.

There's obviously a degree of difference in shipping the homeless between mainland cities and to Hawaii, but that wasn't really my point. My point is that these homeless aren't being offered the services they require because they're viewed as not being kama'aina. Even outsiders who move there for legitimate reasons and have something to offer aren't treated particularly well.

Back