• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Help me pick out a smartphone

HeltonCreek

Well dang!
Reaction score
I found out I can upgrade early with Verizon and am thinking about getting a smartphone. Not really looking at the Iphone but would like recommendations on a droid. I don't have to have the newest but want something functional with decent battery life (I know it will be bad with a smartphone). So far the droid 2 looks nice but I know nothing about smartphones.

I have had several Android phones on Verizon and I would encourage you to reconsider and take a long look at the iPhone.

That said, get the Thunderbolt or wait for the Motorola Droid Bionic that will be out in a couple months. Both are 4G phones and may be a little tougher on battery life but will be incredibly fast.

There was a discussion on this last week. I will find the thread and link to it.

Yea, I'd check out the other thread. But here are my recommendations-

I have the Droid X, love the phone, good battery life (I have the extended battery, but before I got that it was good too). My wife has the Droid 2 and likes it as well. Though she doesn't use the physical keyboard that much (swype is really great), so personally I think the bigger screen size is better than the keyboard.

This summer there should be the X2. But I'd agree with the previous post, look at the Tbolt or wait for the Bionic in another few months. My brother has the Tbolt and had terrible battery life in Kannapolis, NC. The issue was he could just barely get the Charlotte 4g signal, and that drained his battery because it was straining to get the signal. I showed him how to turn off the 4g and have it only work as 3g until they get full 4g coverage in his area and he now gets solid battery life.

In the original post he said he is most interested in the Droid 2. To be fair, Verizon's current Droid 2 will never allow you 4G access. The only 4G phone that has actually been released is the Thunderbolt.

Yea, I'd check out the other thread. But here are my recommendations-

I have the Droid X, love the phone, good battery life (I have the extended battery, but before I got that it was good too). My wife has the Droid 2 and likes it as well. Though she doesn't use the physical keyboard that much (swype is really great), so personally I think the bigger screen size is better than the keyboard.

I have the X as well, and like it a lot....My buddy has the Incredible which is also pretty sweet. Both are fairly equal imo, but significantly better than the Droid 2

Thanks everybody. I wasn't around much last week and missed the thread and I totally forgot that these awesome boards have a search function. Old habits are hard to break.

My bride-to-be HATES her droid. Awful battery life and the thing is just generally a piece of crap. My iPhone 4, OTOH, is sweeeet. I know there's some anti-hippster/apple backlash, but it really is the best phone on the market.

My bride-to-be HATES her droid. Awful battery life and the thing is just generally a piece of crap. My iPhone 4, OTOH, is sweeeet. I know there's some anti-hippster/apple backlash, but it really is the best phone on the market.
:laugh:, you will never ever get a fair judgment of technology from a bride-to-be/gf/mom/etc.

:laugh:, you will never ever get a fair judgment of technology from a bride-to-be/gf/mom/etc.

Almost everyone in my family is tech illiterate, and find using the iPhone/iPad easy to use. Not saying it's perfect for everyone, but by comparison, people who aren't tech savvy find iOS to be simple to figure out.

Can you even get an iphone on an early upgrade? I'd pick up a used Droid X on ebay or craigslist ($200-250) and save the upgrade until summer when the new phones are available. The market for unloading an X should still be pretty good. The new iphone may be available in June, although rumors range from June to November.

I'd stay away from anything that has Bing on it. Verizon put it on the Samsung Fascinate and that device has yet to get 2.2 (Froyo), probably due to a disagreement between Verizon, Google and Samsung over keeping Bing on the phone... a shame as the Fascinate is a great device.

Crazy not to at least consider the iphone.

It's one of the most fascinating things to me how people hate Apple and the people who use them. I don't know if it's the marketing or what, but there are people who legitimately hate all things Apple, even though their products are consistently among the top rated in the market. I've actually pulled out my Macbook or iPhone in public and at work, and people will actually scowl and groan. It's the strangest thing to me.

My friends and I have joked recently though that the new Apple iPhone commercials remind of us of Will Ferrell in Talladega Nights..."If you don't use an iPhone, then fuck you."

Back