• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Help me plan my awesome euro trip

ilovewfu

Reaction score
So after the bar, I'll be going with maybe 5-7 other people on a 1.5-2 week Euro trip. We want to hit a lot of good spots, do some partying and some traditional sight-seeing stuff. I figure that including plane tickets, we might have a 2,500 budget per person. We are trying to stay with people's family/friends and with women we meet at bars in order to cut down on costs.

Give me all your ideas. They can be super specific or just general like, "go to Prague." Give me all of them. Places I want to go for sure: Prague, Barcelona. Oh, and we'll be going in August or September.

Go.

jersey-shore-florence-italy.jpg

August will be the most expensive due to being europeans taking their vacations.

Only an idiot would try a European trip in a week and a half

Reach a consensus on one country and do that.

It's going to be hot, crowded and $$$$.

Personally, I would do some region of Italy.

Agreed that the fewer countries you do, the better. I'm partial to Germany, but you really can go just about anywhere and see great things and drink yourself silly

Due something like Germany/Austria or just stick to one country.

Maybe do the Vienna/Prague/beaches thing.

With 10-14 days, Spain/Portugal could be an excellent choice. They are fun and less expensive than Germany, Italy and France.

My baby takes the morning train...

<3 spain. spain and portugal would be amazing.
if you decide to do this, i can give more specific things.

no cordoba, yes granada.

Okay, so I'll be more realistic here and say that if it is only 1.5-2 weeks we should limit it to like 2 countries. I did Oktoberfest this past year, so I probably don't want to do Munich again. There is a chance we could have as much as 2.5 weeks. Basically my friends and I haven't gotten our start dates for our jobs next fall yet, so we don;t know our schedules, and we don't know how much $$ we'll have. those are the two variables.

Berlin, Prague, Krakow, Budapest. Cheaper than Western Europe, some of the best nightlife on the continent, awesome beer and food, amazing history and day trip options, easy train rides between the cities.

Okay, so I'll be more realistic here and say that if it is only 1.5-2 weeks we should limit it to like 2 countries. I did Oktoberfest this past year, so I probably don't want to do Munich again. There is a chance we could have as much as 2.5 weeks. Basically my friends and I haven't gotten our start dates for our jobs next fall yet, so we don;t know our schedules, and we don't know how much $$ we'll have. those are the two variables.

You are 25 and graduating from UVA with jobs and worrying about how much money you have for a Europe trip? Do you think when you are 35 and miserable that u will be worried about how much money you spent a decade earlier?

Pick an itinerary, go, have a blast and spend too much money. I promise you there will be no regrets 10 years later (unless you do what I'm advising you not to do).

There are a few basic questions you need to think about:
1. Do you want to go to beaches or just to cities?
In my mind, this might be the most important question. If you're primarily going to party and you're going in August, then you should probably include some beach time. If you're primarily going to sightsee, the beach time isn't worth it. Essentially, in July northern Europeans like to get drunk and hook up in the party beaches of southern Europe. In August, the rest of Europe does pretty much the same thing. So if that's the scene you're looking for, that's where you need to head.

That being said, I hate beaches in Europe for the most part. They're too tacky, commercialized, and crowded, plus they take you away from the best part about Europe (culture you can't get in the US).

2. Do you think you'll ever go to Europe again?
If not, then I could see trying to add another city or two. I wouldn't recommend it, but I could see it. If you expect to go back, then soak in one or two places and enjoy.

3. What things/cultures interest you the most?
Personally, I find Scandinavian culture pretty boring (yes, I'm aware of the irony). I really like central Europe. I love France, like Italy, but haven't really gotten any love for Spain.

Based on what you've written, Husky's itinerary sounds like a good choice for you. Another option would be Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Croatian beach.

I would definitely not go to the British Isles or Scandinavia. Both are too hit or miss in terms of weather and are too expensive to justify it with a group of friends. If you like nature at all, I would consider Slovenia. Gorgeous country, friendly people, and not too expensive.

Another fun thing is if you go to Spain, you can hop the straight and spend a day or two in Africa....

In Portugal you can smoke pot....

Spanish jamon and wine.....Portuguese paella...Portugal is extremely cheap.....

In Madrid you can split a chocolate sculpture for about 50E.

Out of Dulles Madrid is about $150 less than Frankfurt (hub most of central europe).

If you can leave from JFK, you'll save about $200-300 than from Dulles.

Barcelona --> Madrid --> Granada --> Sevilla --> Lisboa. That would be an amazing trip. All great night life.

Back