• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Helpful (hopefully) Boone Information

AppFan82

Reaction score
Good morning, Wake faithful. It's almost gameday in Boone. Arguably, this game is more important for App than for Wake as our performance versus P5 teams needs a boost right now. I hope many of you will be making your way up the mountain for what should be nearly perfect football weather.

Things to note:
  • Parking - this is the toughest part of a game in Boone. All campus lots are reserved for boosters. There is handicapped parking at the Hill St lot which is between the Holmes Convocation Center and the John E. Thomas Admin building. Shuttles run from the handicapped accessible lot to the stadium. If you're looking at a map of Boone and think to yourself, "Hey, I could drive down Stadium Dr. and drop Grandma off at the stadium and then go park," don't try it. One now has to have a Stadium or Justice parking pass to drive on the sections of Stadium Drive closest to the stadium. You can park on Stadium Drive in front of some of the houses; just be ready for a nice uphill hike after the game.

Here's the info for non-university owned property http://www.exploreboone.com/things-to-do/guide-game-day-parking/ First Baptist Boone is, essentially, on campus and is an easy-ish walk to the stadium. For those of you who know the difference, First Baptist Boone is a CBF church rather than Southern Baptist, so alcohol might be ok if discreetly handled and without drunkenness ensuing.

Perhaps the best parking for visiting fans is the Watauga Social Services lot. You'll find that at 132 Poplar Grove Connector. The parking there is free, and a shuttle runs to the stadium. In all cases, early arrival is recommended.
  • Tailgating - most of Boone is likely to allow tailgating. Not all of Boone allows alcohol. Check before you pop a top.
  • Alcohol - Boone does have an open container law.
  • Traffic - Boone is a tiny town. Gameday traffic is fun at times. Be patient. Do your best to know where you're going so you don't get stuck.
  • Clear Bag Policy - like many universities, App has adopted a clear bag policy. You'll find those details here as well as some of the details on the alcohol rules. http://www.appstatesports.com/documents/2017/9/7/Updated_17_Fan_Guide.pdf

Please let me know what specific questions you have on navigating Boone. Travel safely. I hope you enjoy everything about the gameday experience ... except the score. :)

We are really fortunate how parking friendly the location of our stadium is.

We are really fortunate how parking friendly the location of our stadium is.
That's definitely one of the downsides to having a stadium on campus in the mountains. Flat space is truly at a premium.

As for those who have suggested we move the track, trust me, that's a sore point for many fans. The two problems we run into are always cost and location. In most of Boone, one hits solid rock about 6-7 feet down. Site prep in Boone generally is many times over what site prep would be in the flatter parts of the state. One day ...

Thanks for the info. My parents live in Boone now. How easy would it be for them to drop me off near the stadium about 2 hours before kickoff?

They've never been to an App game dingus.

Thanks for the info. My parents live in Boone now. How easy would it be for them to drop me off near the stadium about 2 hours before kickoff?

They'll be able to drop you off anywhere along Rivers St but that's about as close as you'll get

Me when I hear about all this "no alcohol" tailgating...

QbvQ_f-maxage-0.gif

You'll be able to stop on Rivers Street and jump out if you do so quickly. Don't attempt to stop at the intersection of Rivers Street and Stadium Drive. That's a busy enough intersection without folks trying to drop people off. If they can drop you off either in front of Durham Park (tennis courts) or the Schaeffer Center, you'll be fine. Rivers Street is as flat as Boone gets. Durham Park and the Schaeffer Center are on opposite sides of Stadium Drive. I'd choose based on the direction from which they're driving.

Here's the info for non-university owned property http://www.exploreboone.com/things-to-do/guide-game-day-parking/ First Baptist Boone is, essentially, on campus and is an easy-ish walk to the stadium. For those of you who know the difference, First Baptist Boone is a CBF church rather than Southern Baptist, so alcohol might be ok if discreetly handled and without drunkenness ensuing.

[*]Tailgating - most of Boone is likely to allow tailgating. Not all of Boone allows alcohol. Check before you pop a top.
[*]Alcohol - Boone does have an open container law.

This reads to me like there are places to park where you can't drink, etc.

This reads to me like there are places to park where you can't drink, etc.

Generally, if your beer's in a coozie, the police will leave you alone. It's not wise to walk down the sidewalk with your beer.

First Baptist does have a no alcohol policy in their lots, though I've heard of folks have a few there, too.

The main thing is not to be a jerk about the drinking and don't let anyone under-age have alcohol. Wander through the booster tailgate lots and strike up a conversation. You'll find most of us will gladly share our tailgate fare as well as a few cold ones. Your best bets for a tailgate welcome are top of the Library Deck, Greenwood, Stadium, Justice, and Duncan (in no particular order).

http://www.appstatesports.com/

The front page of the main App State Sports site has more gameday info. For perspective, the First Baptist Church lot is across College Street from Lot I (Library Deck). Watauga Social Services lot is beyond the map past Lot E (Student Rec Center). Rivers Street is the nearly the lowest spot on the map and is nearly flat. From Rivers Street to virtually any other spot on the map is uphill.

Thanks for this info. In an effort to park on the southeast side of town, is parking at the Farmers Market or the Hickory Ridge Living History Museum an option? Looks like a 20-25 minute walk from that area.
http://www.appstatesports.com/

The front page of the main App State Sports site has more gameday info. For perspective, the First Baptist Church lot is across College Street from Lot I (Library Deck). Watauga Social Services lot is beyond the map past Lot E (Student Rec Center). Rivers Street is the nearly the lowest spot on the map and is nearly flat. From Rivers Street to virtually any other spot on the map is uphill.

Clutch purse policy

I'm a tall, not little, old lady and want to carry a clutch purse to the game. The smallest one I have is 5" x 7". The ASU policy is 4 1/2" x 6 1/2". Unless I have to fit my purse into a measuring device, I think I'll get through the gates. Does anyone on the board know how strict ASU is on this policy? The outfit I plan to wear has no pockets!

Last edited:
Back