• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

He's Gone!

Gives the obvious answer that the new coach will be able to hire any assistants they want without any requirements of retaining any assistants

No legit coach would keep anybody from this staff.

These kind of press conferences are no win situations for the person holding them. You have to hold it but there is little advantage to being fully transparent. Everyone wants to know exactly what happened or what’s going on, but being totally transparent compromises your ability to hire a new coach.

Everyone knows he has to tap dance around and provide a bunch of non-answers, but they have jobs to do and need to ask them despite knowing they’re going to get the run around. Really weird dynamic.

Does anyone remember the Dick Baddour press conference when the goats canned Doherty? I think he used the term “resignation” like 50 times despite it being abundantly clear he was fired. That press conference was like 10x more awkward than this one.

Next year is an ideal year to suck. If you are going to suck in year 1 of a rebuild, I have always said that the post pandemic year is the year to target ...

These kind of press conferences are no win situations for the person holding them. You have to hold it but there is little advantage to being fully transparent. Everyone wants to know exactly what happened or what’s going on, but being totally transparent compromises your ability to hire a new coach.

Everyone knows he has to tap dance around and provide a bunch of non-answers, but they have jobs to do and need to ask them despite knowing they’re going to get the run around. Really weird dynamic.

Does anyone remember the Dick Baddour press conference when the goats canned Doherty? I think he used the term “resignation” like 50 times despite it being abundantly clear he was fired. That press conference was like 10x more awkward than this one.

Then why hold them? Just issue a press release and hold one at the hire.

Hey Mods, can we get the fireworks graphics in the top again?

It was significant that when asked, he did not deny that Manning was fired for cause.

agree, no need to have a press conference for this if are aren't going to give answers. Save the press conference juice for the new hire.

Then why hold them? Just issue a press release and hold one at the hire.

To give minimum information without setting off a fire storm. This was not the time to be controversial. Let the world know that you are looking for a new coach because the old one is finished. That's it.

Currie wants to cultivate a good relationship with the local sports press. He said that he would provide access to them when the decision was made, and he provided them with some quotes for their story.

I would not be shocked if Childress was our coach for ALL of next season as it may be a weird half or 2/3 year anyway ... hope that is not the case, but you usually don't name an interim coach in these type of situations ... it is unusual ...

Yeah I don’t see the problem with giving reporters the chance to get Currie to say something interesting on the record. Sure it’s not riveting TV, but taking questions from the press instead of just issuing a press release will always be a positive for the fans.

That press conference was significantly different than Wellman publicly sucking Bzdelix off after his "resignation".

I thought Currie did a good job saying nothing in a positive way. Much better than Dipshit’s presser after [Redacted] was fired.

Yeah I don’t see the problem with giving reporters the chance to get Currie to say something interesting on the record. Sure it’s not riveting TV, but taking questions from the press instead of just issuing a press release will always be a positive for the fans.

Some people will bitch about anything

Count me among those who don't see any issue with the press conference. There were reporters from multiple regions / outlets that we usually don't get covering WFU sports. We grab the headlines, at least for a couple of days. If you were surprised that Currie didn't get into specifics then you haven't watched very many press conferences from top-level leaders. You stay on message, put a positive spin on the future and don't get into specifics.

Back