• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hillsborough 30 for 30

The soccer 30 for 30 series has set the bar incredibly high with this one. Only able to catch the last half, but have it DVR'd. Hard to believe that this happened...both to the victims in life, and in death.

The second segment (roughly 20-40 minutes in) is probably the best section of a show I've ever seen.

I think this is likely ESPN's best production.

Wow...Speechless. BAC tests and criminal background checks? FFS

Easily one of the best documentaries (sports or otherwise) I've ever seen. Can't imagine having to fight to clear the name of a deceased loved one for a quarter century.

The weird thing (with a doc that was easily 90-100 minutes when you take away commercials) is that it could have gone a bit further into the build up to Hillsborough with the hooliganism that plagued euro soccer for most of the 80's that led to the pen style terraces. Could have easily talked more about LFC's response and supporting the families in the immediate aftermath. I'm fairly certain I read somewhere the Kenny Dalglish (while serving as manager of the club) attended every single funeral of the victims in the weeks after the tragedy.

Having said that, those are minor... hell - minuscule aspects of my thoughts about that doc. That was a brilliant piece of film making.

So, so good. Can't believe something like that happened - so horrible. This is definitely the best 30 for 30 they've done.

I didn't know this was coming on, and I only managed to catch the last 40 minutes. I've got the DVR set for a future showing to get the rest.

I remember seeing photos in Sports Illustrated of the crush at the fence as a 13 year old. It was hard to comprehend what had happened, but my recollection is that hooliganism was where the blame was placed at the time.

Terraces were banned in '94, but I saw a match at Stamford Bridge in '93 and the terraces were still there. I was 17 by then, and the terrace was only half-full, but it definitely made me think of Hillsborough.

There are tons of pics like this out there. This is one I came across yesterday.
strange_and_scary_photographs_that_will_creep_you_out_640_15.jpg

apparently they can't show this in the UK for one year due to the inquests being re-opened.

And this happened only 4 years after the Bradford City Fire, which also suffered from inconceivably bad emergency planning, i.e. the exits being locked, preventing escape. At least there weren't barriers to the pitch or the dead toll could have been hundreds. You'd think there would have been more to the reaction than changing away from old wooden grandstands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradford_City_stadium_fire

eta: the photos of this are absolutely terrifying as well

And this happened only 4 years after the Bradford City Fire, which also suffered from inconceivably bad emergency planning, i.e. the exits being locked, preventing escape. At least there weren't barriers to the pitch or the dead toll could have been hundreds. You'd think there would have been more to the reaction than changing away from old wooden grandstands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradford_City_stadium_fire

eta: the photos of this are absolutely terrifying as well

We studied this in an Extreme Fire Behavior class that I took last fall. Bradford was a disaster waiting to happen, and changed the way fire codes were written around the world. This video is shown in real time. The short period it took from the fire starting until turning into a raging inferno is staggering.

The man seen walking on fire at 5:20 of the video ended up succumbing to his burns.

Last edited:
Looking at the Liverpool forum the people that did manage to see it seemed to enjoy it. The main complaint was that Anne Williams http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Williams_(activist) wasn't referenced as she is considered the figurehead of the justice movement. It seems like, due to her unfortunate death from cancer early last year, the filmmaker "replaced" her story with the two mothers he could put on camera.

Riveting. And appalling. Great, great documentary. Perhaps my favorite since The Two Escobars.

Such a horrible, senseless tragedy. Compounded by the evil cover up and victim blaming. The whole thing just hurt to watch, but i couldn't stop.

best espn 30 for 30 they've done. Easily.

Back