• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hobie Wave?

AMCDeac

Richard Joyce
Reaction score
Would I regret buying a (used) Hobie Wave catamaran? Maximum weight of my family of 4 is pretty low, with me taking up half at this point. (Less than 400 at this point). We could use it at the beach (where my in-laws have a house, FTW) and maybe a time or two at Lake James, which tends to have strong winds. (Someday, we will have a house at Lake James, if all goes according to plans - but I would prefer a power boat (perhaps in addition) when that happens). In the meantime, I have a place to keep it, so that doesn't seem like an issue, either. Also seems like a good way to teach my kids to sail. However, I tend to buy things that get less use than I originally imagined they would. Did anyone grow up with a Hobie? Was it awesome or not so much? Thumbs up or down on the idea?

Last edited:
Would it be something you could use for a season or two and then sale without taking too big of a hit?

Grew up with a hobie cat and loved it. Tough boat to sail for a kid (would start them on a sunfish first) but it's awesome to ride on.

Would I regret buying a (used) Hobie Wave catamaran? Maximum weight of my family of 4 is pretty low, with me taking up half at this point. (Less than 400 at this point). We could use it at the beach (where my in-laws have a house, FTW) and maybe a time or two at Lake James, which tends to have strong winds. (Someday, we will have a house at Lake James, if all goes according to plans - but I would prefer a power boat (perhaps in addition) when that happens). In the meantime, I have a place to keep it, so that doesn't seem like an issue, either. Also seems like a good way to teach my kids to sail. However, I tend to buy things that get less use than I originally imagined they would. Did anyone grow up with a Hobie? Was it awesome or not so much? Thumbs up or down on the idea?

Remember that pack of rubbers you bought senior year?

So what happens if you sail out to the middle of the lake and then the wind dies?

If you've got a place to sail it, lodgings at said place (underrated, as day trips just for sailing can be exhausting), room to store it, and a trailer hitch to tow it, then buy it.

That said, I love sailing enough to warrant spending my money on a boat, so I might be biased. I've got a Laser in my garage and don't take it out as much as I'd like to (it's a 40 minute drive to the closest decent-sized lake), but I'd rather have my own boat to take out three times a year than not have anything to sail.

I grew up with a Hobie Cat and it was, indeed, awesome.

I've been doing a lot of sailing on Hobie cats recently. Probably head out this Sunday. We just do go out to the lake here that the university owns.

Back