• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hokies

Shake

Reaction score
9 - 8 and 17 - 13

Did anyone see this?

How many of you feel like this was a possibility for us going into the season?

No matter what you think of Buzz or how he built his roster this is very impressive and deserves a few Coach of the Year votes.

2.4 PPG of their scoring this year was on the roster when Buzz took over the job.

They took a bunch of transfers and jucos. Buzz has no doubt done a good job, but their model will never work for us. Agree or disagree, that's just the case given the differences in standards at the school. I sound really elitist when I say that, but it is the truth.

We're all tired of the playing the academic card that we really don't even have. They have good kids who seem to represent the university well.

We're all tired of the playing the academic card that we really don't even have. They have good kids who seem to represent the university well.

Agree.

Buzz is one helluva coach. 8-5 NCAA record ... two Sweet 16s and one Elite 8. Took a VT team that was picked for 14th in the ACC and has them with a first-round bye and 9 conference wins. Plus, he is a pretty good guy from all I hear.

Do they have a shot at the NCAAT with a few ACCT wins? Or are they guaranteed to be NIT-bound?

Agree.

Buzz is one helluva coach. 8-5 NCAA record ... two Sweet 16s and one Elite 8. Took a VT team that was picked for 14th in the ACC and has them with a first-round bye and 9 conference wins. Plus, he is a pretty good guy from all I hear.

And only 43 years old.

They took a bunch of transfers and jucos. Buzz has no doubt done a good job, but their model will never work for us. Agree or disagree, that's just the case given the differences in standards at the school. I sound really elitist when I say that, but it is the truth.

Wake will take transfers. How many JUCO players do they have? I've been very impressed with Buzz.

Buzz Williams has done a great job. Kudos to him.

FWIW, the VT AD, Whit Babcock, got connected to Williams through Mick Cronin the coach of Cincy (Babcock was the Cincy AD before moving to VT), Babcock had fostered a relationship with Williams over a significant period of time, and Buzz Williams has said that the only reason he left Marquette to take the VT job was due to Babcock. Really doubt that Wellman had any connection with Williams for the ability to lure him to WF from Marquette. Babcock is a rising star among ADs; Wellman's star crested and then imploded long ago.

VATech has four Jucos: Hamilton, Henry, LeDay and Outlaw; and two transfers: Allen and Galloway.

Last edited:
Do they have a shot at the NCAAT with a few ACCT wins? Or are they guaranteed to be NIT-bound?

Two wins would put them in the semis and they would have to go through UNC to get there. They're 87 in KP right now which has them ranked below State, GT, and Clemson, all of which are teams they're ahead of in the ACC standings. The only win that they have that's really impressive is against UVA. I would guess that they would need to at least make it to the ACCT final to get in, but they're on our side of the bracket, so they would have to get by us on our miracle run to the final four.

Buzz Williams has done a great job. Kudos to him.

FWIW, the VT AD, Whit Babcock, got connected to Williams through Mick Cronin the coach of Cincy (Babcock was the Cincy AD before moving to VT), Babcock had fostered a relationship with Williams over a significant period of time, and Buzz Williams has said that the only reason he left Marquette to take the VT job was due to Babcock. Really doubt that Wellman had any connection with Williams for the ability to lure him to WF from Marquette. Babcock is a rising star among ADs; Wellman's star crested and then imploded long ago.

Agreed. Ain't nobody taking a job at Wake because of a strong personal connection with Wellman. Sociopaths aren't capable of developing that type of human relationship. Plus, the last time this happened we ended up with coach unwiped ass.

VATech has four Jucos: Hamilton, Henry, LeDay and Outlaw; and two transfers: Allen and Galloway.

LeDay came from South Florida, not a JUCO. Seth Allen (Maryland) is also a transfer. Hamilton, Henry, and Outlaw are JUCO.

Zach LeDay transferred from the U of South Florida. Is USF considered a junior college now? If only there was an active poster on this board that could answer that question based on personal experience...

Sorry, misread his bio on the Hokie site. msiread Jr year transfer as Jr college transfer

Zach LeDay went from averaging 3.5 pts, 2.6 reb in 15 min for a 12-20 team as a sophomore to averaging 15.1 pts, 7.7 reb in 30 min for a 17-13 likely NIT team as a redshirt junior.

:eek:

Keyshawn Woods, what you got?

We don't take JUCO players and very few regular transfers. Also, have tougher graduation requirements. You need to build a bit more slowly here. All that said, Manning is not doing a good job coaching what he has

Back