• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HOLY SHIT IT'S A SHARK

Hah I just found out that my sister was roommates with this girl freshman year

I just got back from Cape Cod where there have been at least 4 different Great White sharks swimming along the coast. Huge seal populations have led to an increase in shark sightings this summer. Didn't get a chance to see any, but apparently one was spotted today at the beach I had been at the last 4 days.

This was last week a bit further south on the Cape.

cape-cod-shark-kayak.jpg

re: cape cod and sharks, as long as those seals keep coming back to chatham, so will the great whites. don't want to sound morbid, but i fear it's only a matter of time till something awful happens. just look at that damn picture above!

They have been found is far upriver as Illinois and they are responsible for more attacks on people than any other species. They blamed a Great White for what happened around New York many years ago to inspire jaws, but experts say they are pretty sure it was bull as kids were attacked in rivers.

The attack you reference was in Matawan, NJ in 1916. My brother lives there - damn close to Matawan Creek. Bull sharks attacked a few people in the Cancun area last year resulting in the local authorities telling the fishing fleet to clean them out. They killed 70 bull sharks in one day.

Bulls are dangerous Mofos.

I just got back from Cape Cod where there have been at least 4 different Great White sharks swimming along the coast. Huge seal populations have led to an increase in shark sightings this summer. Didn't get a chance to see any, but apparently one was spotted today at the beach I had been at the last 4 days.

This was last week a bit further south on the Cape.

cape-cod-shark-kayak.jpg

There's doo-doo in that wet suit.

This is getting me pumped for my Great White dive in a month

Cape Town here I come

This happened to me recently when we were fishing offshore in Wrightsville Beach. I had a small tuna on the line and all of a sudden a shark comes and starts attacking it and when we reeled it in half the fish was remaining. Got a video of it, but can't really see the shark because it was too far away to see it, but did get the fish being reeled in half eaten.

We have a particular spot that the bull sharks always seem to congregate at this time of year. Used to dive on the spot but I don't anymore. What we have found though is there are often cobia swimming along with the sharks to pick up scraps. If you catch a bonita and hold it off the back of the boat, the sharks will come up and you toss a bait right behind them, dinner is served! If you miss the sighting and the shark takes the bonita, you get a fun show for a second or two.

The attack you reference was in Matawan, NJ in 1916. My brother lives there - damn close to Matawan Creek. Bull sharks attacked a few people in the Cancun area last year resulting in the local authorities telling the fishing fleet to clean them out. They killed 70 bull sharks in one day.

Bulls are dangerous Mofos.

For real??? Matawan is really far inland.

The Bull in Myrtle was off of 47th Ave. TSY, here's a pic of the shark we wrestled for 3.5 hours (thinking it was a big ass fish, come to find out it snagged a tuna we had on the line at some point). Captain said he through it was a Sand Tiger/Tiger based on the size and coloration...
26885_385818148709_112790_n.jpg

And just because all you guys got seasick and spent most of the time chumming, here's one for old times sake...
26885_385818393709_5394378_n.jpg

bahahaha, last time we went fishing (me, my brothers, dad, uncles and grandfather), i'm pretty sure my one uncle was the only one who didn't lose breakfast. such a miserable day on the water. somewhere we have a picture like that (though we are clothed).

yep, our seas were 8-10, but the boat was smaller than what you're in there. that plus people who are sea-sick prone anyway... bad combo. i can't imagine alchy on top of that. makes me nauseous to think about.

Meh. Ben's not half the surfer Kelly Slater is.

We have a particular spot that the bull sharks always seem to congregate at this time of year. Used to dive on the spot but I don't anymore. What we have found though is there are often cobia swimming along with the sharks to pick up scraps. If you catch a bonita and hold it off the back of the boat, the sharks will come up and you toss a bait right behind them, dinner is served! If you miss the sighting and the shark takes the bonita, you get a fun show for a second or two.

Great. Thanks for socializing the sharks.

Back