• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Home Audio

the Five is aweseome but you might get more mileage out of two Ones in different parts of the same room or adjacent rooms

I've had a good ol' fashioned stereo receiver with 5.1 setup for years. More than 25 years actually. I started to get into surround sound for home when DVDs were getting big, and I remember especially anticipating the release of Saving Private Ryan on DVD so I could give that setup a true workout. Some of the older receivers aren't the best for the newer digital hookups, but you can easily dig up a good used receiver on FB marketplace or somewhere similar that will do the job. You'd want one that is Atmos compatible and will fold down Atmos into a 5.1 signal (unless you want to splurge for an Atmos setup). Speakers can be found on the cheap too if you don't already have some. Speaker wire can be had at Home Depot for much cheaper than you'll get anywhere else. Some people don't have the room for the speakers, but I use that setup for my regular music playing too. It's especially great for any SACDs or blu rays for my surround sound music collection.

Just got a new TV for the Living room. Checked out the Sonos while I was at BB. Uh yeah. That shit is unreal. The ARC is tits

Just got a new TV for the Living room. Checked out the Sonos while I was at BB. Uh yeah. That shit is unreal. The ARC is tits

The Sonos Arc is especially lovely if your TV is new(ish) and you have eARC output (sends Dolby Atmos through a single HDMI cable). Toss a couple 1's as rears and the ratio of effort/quality/simplicity is pretty tough to beat. Yes, it's a little pricey.

Back