• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Home Security Systems

JamesSokolove

877-490-6520
Reaction score
I've listened to enough Clarke Howard to believe Im getting ripped but can't find a lot of good information for NC so I come to the rest of yall for first hand experience.

My contract with CPI has expired and I would love to get something lower than $36/m even though I have been very happy with the service I received from CPI. I have yet to call to them directly to see what deals they have to keep me. Any tips for a home security system at a rate lower than Ive been paying that still provides great service?

Last edited:
Are you worried about safety or property loss? Obvious answer for everyone is both, but if it is a financial loss of silver, jewelry and Large screen TV, I would say save your money.

Of al the people I have known in my life, and including “friends of Friends", I know of two people that were home when the burglars came in and they were threatened. You could also get a boxer from Carolina Boxer Rescue, and I promise your house will never be a target. You are much more likely to be assaulted in a parking lot of a shopping center than at your home.

If you go back to CPI to renew, you can likely get them to throw in some no-charge system upgrades like the cameras you can view on your phone, glass-break sensors, and other stuff that may not have been available when your system was originally installed.

Its a safety thing. Basically the significant other feels much better having a system especially when home alone. Already got the dog thing too to aid on that end. Our home was broken into a while back before the system as well so I can't say her fear is completely irrational.

Yeah I've come to the same conclusion as TARDAWG. There are occasional burglaries where I live, but of course it's almost always when the homeowner is not home. And I hardly own anything worth stealing that would justify the monthly expense.

Can you easily buy alarm systems that simply sound an alarm and don't have a monthly monitoring expense? I'd be potentially interested in that.

Can you easily buy alarm systems that simply sound an alarm and don't have a monthly monitoring expense? I'd be potentially interested in that.
This is what I have. I think I paid a couple thousand up front for it, but have not paid for anything since.

thats the one that Clarke Howard touts 923. I'd also be interested if anyone else has used that.

If you own the equipment, you can get monitoring for cheap, like $10/mo. Carolina Alarm with a cellular connection I pay $300/yr.

I have motion detectors with a loud siren alarm. Has a battery backup if the power gets cut.

Also have a dog outside.

A pro crook will get in no matter what but why would I get hit by a pro.

My GF has Iris (Lowe's) and it is very easy to customize and add what you want. Only $150 or so but you can add live monitoring if you'd like. Worth looking into.

pit-bull1_0.jpg

Back