• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Home Theater

Definitely disagree. The essence of being an audiophile is achieving high fidelity at high gain in your listening room.

Did you work for Custom Audio Video? My parents use them back home.

I think I'm going to follow your suggestion. I currently have an old Sony AV receiver (no HDMI inputs or outputs) and two pretty good Boston front speakers. I was considering getting an all-in-one home theater system but I'm worried that the sound won't be that good and will actually be inferior to the speakers that I already have. I'm also kind of concerned about the stripped down AV receiver that would come in an all-in-one package. I might just upgrade the AV receiver to the Denon 1912 and then eventually build around the front speakers that I have.

My TV has really bad sounding speakers with non-existant range, so I actually bought the super-cheap $150 RCA set from wal-mart a few years ago that was an actual receiver + speakers. They worked really well until the fan went out on the receiver in January, so I replaced the receiver with the Denon 1312 as a birthday present. Swapped out the front channels with some bookshelf system speakers and have been really, really happy with the results.

I also highly recommend logitech remotes, they're great. I got one in college which took a ton of abuse and worked wonderfully. I now have the logitech 1100 (and shortly, the RF extender), which makes me feel like I'm straight out of Star Trek or something.

To summarize, upgrade the receiver and keep the speakers. Plus some rambling.

Definitely disagree. The essence of being an audiophile is achieving high fidelity at high gain in your listening room.

Yes, but OP isn't putting together a B&W system. A $200 set of cans will outperform a $1000 surround system in every aspect save chest thump.

Partially agree...people who call themselves audiophiles usually are not (you are not included in this group Phys)...The main purpose for an audio playback system is to recreate an event that happened in another time and place as accurately as possible. And to my recollection, most live music is loud.

Had to replace an Onkyo SR-606 last month after only 3 years due to the HDMI board completely going tits up. Unit was the highest rated mid-class receiver on CNET when I bought it, but since then it has become evident that that Onkyo model is completely useless. Replaced it with a Denon AVR-1912. I won't be buying any more Onkyos.

derail:

i have a pair of denon headphones that i wear for roughly 8 hours a day at work every day. The sound quality is absolutely insanely good but i swear to god that these things are made out of the lowest quality fucking plastic known to man.

derail:

i have a pair of denon headphones that i wear for roughly 8 hours a day at work every day. The sound quality is absolutely insanely good but i swear to god that these things are made out of the lowest quality fucking plastic known to man.

Juice, what is your baseline for "sound quality" that "is insanely good?"

(And Denon makes nice headphones)

Any thoughts from peeps on a Denon 1612 receiver? I just got my BA CS2310B speakers yesterday.

Sorry I'm such a noob

Denon makes quality gear, they always have. I still have a st or two of BA's in my house somewhere, I used to use them in my office with an NAD receiver. You are starting off well.

So a Denon 1612 is a good choice? I found a guy on craigslist who won one in a raffle and will sell unopened for $250 (plus a handy since its craigslist).

Juice, what is your baseline for "sound quality" that "is insanely good?"

(And Denon makes nice headphones)

i don't have any sort of quantitative analysis for sound quality nor model numbers on the products because I am not really an expert on the topic. I used to have some bose noise cancelers which IMO were not as good as the denon headphones I have now. Before that i had a Koss set, which could be thrown at steroidal roger clemens fastball speed across the room and still survive.

I helped design the functionality and wrote the owners manual for this:
kps25s.jpg

OSD, what is that device? CD/DVD/Bluray player? What price point do you consider inexpensive for avr's?

I'm looking at getting an onkyo tx-nr609 to replace an old htib receiver. Denon and Onkyo seem very similar. Onkyo seem to have more features for a little less coin, minus Airplay and possibly an official iphone or droid app (can't remember if that's true or not). But neither the smartphone app nor airplay functionality are deciding factors.

Also looking at getting some polk monitor speakers to replace said htib. Got a great deal on cs1 center the other day on ebay and newegg is always running deals on polk monitors. Sorry to hijack the thread you just sound like you know your way around some home audio/video. Also, this setup would be for cable/bluray/gaming(ps3), very little music.

OSD, what is that device? CD/DVD/Bluray player? What price point do you consider inexpensive for avr's?

I'm looking at getting an onkyo tx-nr609 to replace an old htib receiver. Denon and Onkyo seem very similar. Onkyo seem to have more features for a little less coin, minus Airplay and possibly an official iphone or droid app (can't remember if that's true or not). But neither the smartphone app nor airplay functionality are deciding factors.

Also looking at getting some polk monitor speakers to replace said htib. Got a great deal on cs1 center the other day on ebay and newegg is always running deals on polk monitors. Sorry to hijack the thread you just sound like you know your way around some home audio/video. Also, this setup would be for cable/bluray/gaming(ps3), very little music.

That is the best CD player ever made...Krell KPS 25s, with a built in preamp with a theater throughput function. Digital and analog ins and outs, balanced ins and outs. Only played cd's. $25,000.00 and we could not build them fast enough. I loved having one in my home.

I always preferred Denon over Onkyo, but mainly because the user interface may not be as slick but I felt that the amplifier and processors were better in the same price range. Polks were always a little to bright/hot on the top end for me, I will say that to this day I have never heard a better bang for the buck speaker than Paradigm.

OSD... if you don't mind me asking, what kind of setup do you have at home?

OSD... if you don't mind me asking, what kind of setup do you have at home?

Nothing close to what I used to have when I was in the biz...kids and watches will do that to you.

Main room is large Yamaha surround receiver, 50" Pioneer Elite plasma, Monitor Audio and Definitive Technology speakers, Paradigm sub, PS3, iPod dock, Pioneer Elite LD player. The whole house is multi-source, multi-zone, 180W Rotel amp, individual; volume controls, Paradigm speakers in the dining room, master bath, kitchen, Boston Acoustic outdoor speakers for the driveway and on the back porch. Separate Nakamichi stuff in the bedroom, but we are close to pulling the trigger on flat screen, new home theater in there. Upstairs play room is on its own system, Yamaha surround receiver, Nakamichi RX-505 tape deck (Google that one), Marantz CD changer, PS2, Wii, and kick ass Paradigm speakers all the way around. My car system does pretty well too, but that would be for another thread.

Back