• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Homebuilding 101

captruss24

Did I mention I'm a South Carolina fan? You know,
Reaction score
Looking for some opinions from those who have bought land and built a house. We have scouted vacant lots in S/D's for weeks and believe we found the perfect one. Its heavily wooded and 2+ acres, which will require an on-site inspection/walkabout before we commit to anything. That being said, I have put together a check list of a few items I will ask the developer. Please feel free to comment on anything else that I should ask.

-neighborhood covenants and restrictions
-easements
-existing survey
-utilities (public, private, etc.)
-environmental analysis (make sure there are no pipes/chemicals/contamination; creek on property)
-estimated clearing and grading costs
-type of soil

While you're scouting, looking for bigfoot prints in soft, muddy ground.

Ask your neighbors if they have any inquisitive creatures lurking about raiding their chicken cages or stealing food.

That's all I can think of, really.

When preparing to build and working with the architect one thing to find out is if there are local or neighborhood restrictions that will limit building additions in the future. For instance, you build your house with a one car garage and three years from now you decide that you want a detached garage. You may not be able to do that. In some counties, any detached additions have to be a guest house and can't be just a garage or green house.

Depending on the type and density of the lumber, you might be able to sell off some of the timber.

I assume this is in some sort of subdivision? If so, I'd guess you've got sewer and city/county water. If not, definitely get a perk test before buy the land.

The best advice I can give you on the planning aspect, take your time and sit on a house design for a few week before you commit to it. I changed mine it seemed like a million times before I finally settled on it. Also request the builder use floor trusses. It'll make your exterior walls all load bearing, but you'll be free to remove/move interior walls in the future without interfering with the structural integrity of the house.

Plenty of subdivisions are built without access to municipal water and sewer. Many more are built with water, but no sewer access. That's very possible with 2-acre lots. Just make sure you know what your options are and the costs for either hooking up to public water/sewer of installing a well/septic.

Back