• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Homeless Rock Thrower Gunned Down by Cops

Our lack of mental health treatment is the great American failing of the 21st Century so far...

agreed. Jails are too full and many are going undiagnosed and left in the streets to fend for themselves. Pretty sad.

I don't want to paint you to this position, but you aren't suggesting jails are the proper place for mentally ill or all homeless people, right?

I think he meant that jails are too full already of mentally ill people. I hope that's what it meant.

The mentally ill community should work together to fix their own problems.
#findthebootsfirst

I don't want to paint you to this position, but you aren't suggesting jails are the proper place for mentally ill or all homeless people, right?

No I am saying jails are full of non diagnosed people with mental illnesses. I am also saying that many mentally ill undiagnosed walking the streets with no real way of getting help they need.

I can see how what I wrote could imply that but certainly not my feelings on it.

Deacs89, what's the solution? Public funding for services to the mentally ill keeps getting slashed. That's why it's passed on to the criminal justice system.

Deacs89, what's the solution? Public funding for services to the mentally ill keeps getting slashed. That's why it's passed on to the criminal justice system.

Well I am not sure what the answer is. I am in the camp that more needs to be done to identify these people. More awareness and certainly cutting funding for mentally ill would not be a position I support.

And governmental services that were pretty well funded and relatively successful are now devolved to community-based organizations and non-profits that do a pretty miserable job with far less funding and regulation.

Conservatives first shat on the former and now shit on the latter.

And governmental services that were pretty well funded and relatively successful are now devolved to community-based organizations and non-profits that do a pretty miserable job with far less funding and regulation.

Conservatives first shat on the former and now shit on the latter.

oh man you are part of the problem. Clearly being conservative does not mean you hate the mentally ill or elderly or fill in the blank? Is it possible to have the answer somewhere in the middle?

oh man you are part of the problem. Clearly being conservative does not mean you hate the mentally ill or elderly or fill in the blank? Is it possible to have the answer somewhere in the middle?

Why does the answer have to be in between two political perspectives? Why can't the answer just be the correct answer?

Which party has done most of the slashing to mental health programs?

Uh, I'm pretty sure that funding rollbacks that directly affected mental illness and homeless outreach funding happened primarily during the Reagan, Bush, and Bush II administrations. Clinton dismantled welfare as we know it, but the stage was set, particularly for mentally ill people and their state-run institutions.

If you, as a conservative, find these issues to be important, then you should organize around them and try to get your representatives to a) support relevant legislation and b) get these issues back in the public/national consciousness.

Insecurity is cool, though.

Uh, I'm pretty sure that funding rollbacks that directly affected mental illness and homeless outreach funding happened primarily during the Reagan, Bush, and Bush II administrations. Clinton dismantled welfare as we know it, but the stage was set, particularly for mentally ill people and their state-run institutions.

If you, as a conservative, find these issues to be important, then you should organize around them and try to get your representatives to a) support relevant legislation and b) get these issues back in the public/national consciousness.

Insecurity is cool, though.

lol this board is literally a liberal circle jerk.

It kind of looks to me like he turns back to the cops and holds up his hands as if he could have a gun in the instant before he was shot. It happens so quick and the vid is far enough that it's pretty difficult to tell.

lol this board is literally a liberal circle jerk.

Well, you're welcome to find examples of how the Carter, Clinton, and Obama administrations have slashed federal funding for programs that serve the mentally ill and homeless populations. The closest would be Carter and Clinton. The former was in office during the O'Connor decision in 1975 and the latter did a number of welfare programs.

Yet, Reagan absolutely dismantled the welfare state, particularly as it pertained to homeless and mentally ill individuals and Bush I more or less followed suit. Perhaps Bush II should be left out of it, then, because his forefathers (Clinton, included) did enough to effectively neuter the state's capacity to provide homeless outreach/intervention and mental health programs far before he ever took office.

Thanks, PC millennials (and parents of millennials). Instead of being able to look at a kid and say "that kid is fucked up, he needs some serious help", we now have to pretend he is "unique", humor his idiosyncrocies, and give him his participation trophy.

Somehow we have evolved from throwing anybody who acted strange into a looney bin for life to letting everyone do whatever the hell they feel urged to do in the name of political correctness. There has to be a decent middleground somewhere.

Thanks, PC millennials (and parents of millennials). Instead of being able to look at a kid and say "that kid is fucked up, he needs some serious help", we now have to pretend he is "unique", humor his idiosyncrocies, and give him his participation trophy.

Somehow we have evolved from throwing anybody who acted strange into a looney bin for life to letting everyone do whatever the hell they feel urged to do in the name of political correctness. There has to be a decent middleground somewhere.

1GcE7PE.jpg

Back