• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Homemade ice cream recipes

LadyDeac03

Reaction score
We got a Kitchenaid ice cream maker and just made enough room in the freezer to actually use it. Anyone have good recipes?

Ideally I'd like to make something a little bit on the "lighter" side, even if it won't be quite as rich and creamy (heavy whipping cream kind of grosses me out).

A friend suggested adding Junior Mints to either vanilla or chocolate ice cream. I definitely want to try that once I get a good and easy basic recipe.

sadly i don't have the recipe. but my uncle makes the most outrageously good peach ice cream with fresh peaches.

1/2 cup breast milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon sugar
4 cups crushed ice
4 tablespoons salt
1 standard sized coffee can
1 economy sized coffee can
Hand towel or gloves (to protect your fingers)

Combine the breast milk, vanilla and sugar into the standard sized coffee can and mix thoroughly. Tightly seal the can with its plastic lid and place inside the larger sized coffee can. Fill that can with the crushed ice, then sprinkle the salt over on top.

Now, use your gloves or towel to protect your hands as you roll the can back and forth on the ground, until the ice cream sets. The time required depends on the number of servings in the can.

They're neither light nor easy to make, but custard ice creams are where it's at. The junk without eggs is far inferior.

This is my all-time favorite ice cream recipe:

Lemon Custard Ice Cream

2 cups whipping cream
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup sugar
1/8 cup finely grated lemon zest
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
6 large egg yolks
1 pinch salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

1. Bring the cream, half-and-half, sugar and zest just to a boil over medium heat in a heavy medium saucepan, stirring to dissolve the sugar.

2. Whisk the egg yolks and salt together in a medium bowl. Add 1/2 cup of the cream mixture to the yolk mixture and whisk until blended.

3. In a slow, steady stream, add the remaining cream mixture, whisking constantly, and continue whisking until blended. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook, stirring, over medium-low heat until the custard thickens and leaves a path on the back of a wooden spoon when a finger is drawn across it; do not allow the mixture to boil.

4. Immediately pour the custard through a strainer into a bowl and stir in the vanilla. Let cool to room temperature, whisking occasionally.

5. Refrigerate, covered, for 3 hours, or overnight, until thoroughly chilled.

6. When ready to freeze, stir the lemon juice into the cold custard, pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturers instructions. The ice cream will be soft but ready to eat.

Back