• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hopefully. This Is Not Our Basketball Future...

deacsrus

Reaction score
as I watched the GT at BC game last night. Excluding the students, I estimated there were only 700 to 800 fans there. It looked like only family and close friends were invited. The first three rows at courtside were empty. BC has fallen as low as our program was three years ago. With our obvious lack of recruiting(except Shelton), are we or could we ever be headed for this scenario or was this simply a weather issue?

Last night was a bad example because it was a 9PM game in the middle of a snowstorm. It was way worse than usual. Most companies in Boston instructed their employees to leave early due to the terrible driving conditions. But BC's attendance overall is pretty pathetic. Most BC games other than Duke and UNC in hoops (and now Cuse) are pretty empty.

Last night was a bad example because it was a 9PM game in the middle of a snowstorm. It was way worse than usual. Most companies in Boston instructed their employees to leave early due to the terrible driving conditions. But BC's attendance overall is pretty pathetic. Most BC games other than Duke and UNC in hoops (and now Cuse) are pretty empty.

Yeah, I wouldn't go by that game too much. I remember going to a Wake v. UNC game at the G'boro Coliseum (our homecourt for ACC games back then) when I was a kid during a big snow, where everything was closed and we got front row under the basket. Very sparse crowd.

as I watched the GT at BC game last night. Excluding the students, I estimated there were only 700 to 800 fans there. It looked like only family and close friends were invited. The first three rows at courtside were empty. BC has fallen as low as our program was three years ago. With our obvious lack of recruiting(except Shelton), are we or could we ever be headed for this scenario or was this simply a weather issue?

Future? That sounds like our most recent 3+ years.

No. Changes are coming in 51 days.

When is the last time that an ACC school made what turned out to be a good b-ball hire? Miami and/or UVa maybe? BC, Wake, and GT are disasters. As bad as many thought Greenberg was, and least he kept VT semi-relevant. Turgeon doesn't appear to be a terrible hire, but he has finished below .500 in both ACC seasons and has yet to make the NCAAs. Gott just seems like he is a scandal waiting to happen (be it rules or ethics), and it would not be shocking to see him out of there within 5 years Not sure about Brownell. So far, so good for Clemson this season, but they had been on a downward trajectory before that. It just seems that there were a lot of hires over the last 3-4 years, and in all but a few cases, those teams have been experiencing seasons far below the heights that their previous coaches had.

When is the last time that an ACC school made what turned out to be a good b-ball hire? Miami and/or UVa maybe? BC, Wake, and GT are disasters. As bad as many thought Greenberg was, and least he kept VT semi-relevant. Turgeon doesn't appear to be a terrible hire, but he has finished below .500 in both ACC seasons and has yet to make the NCAAs. Gott just seems like he is a scandal waiting to happen (be it rules or ethics), and it would not be shocking to see him out of there within 5 years Not sure about Brownell. So far, so good for Clemson this season, but they had been on a downward trajectory before that. It just seems that there were a lot of hires over the last 3-4 years, and in all but a few cases, those teams have been experiencing seasons far below the heights that their previous coaches had.

Don't worry, Ron loves Wake fans and he will do us right.

I would actually be interested in a thoughtful analysis of this from someone knowledgeable of college basketball. Why are these programs all floundering?

Is it the quality of these particular coaches? Unforeseen or uncontrollable circumstances due to player injuries/transfers/early NBA? Reflective of the general parity in college basketball and dilution of talent? Or simply reflective of the actual strength (or lack thereof) of these particular basketball programs?

BC has the worst student support in the ACC, imo. I went to the basketball game against Wake in 2011 when BC had Reggie Jackson and a borderline NCAA team and there were probably less than 100 students in attendance. I also attended the football game in 2007 (Wake went up 14-0, subsequently got eviscerated by Matt Ryan) and the student support seemed pretty weak as well. Both facilities are located on campus, too.

Its not a bad observation at this point. Turgeon and Gott are not trending well. Others seem mediocre. I do love larannaga and he seems like a great fit, but we'll see how competetive he can keep his program after the initial talent he inherited runs out. Bennett was a good hire and a good fit.

Back