• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Horticulture help... Plant disease

Deacon923

Scooter Banks
Reaction score
I am having a lot of trouble keeping plants alive in a couple areas of my yard, specifically in the beds nearest the house foundation. See photos. These are schip laurels which are crazy tough and grow like crazy on other parts of the lot. But here they are being attacked by something that rapidly and suddenly kills sections of the plant. These plants looked ok yesterday, today big sections are dying. Other plants have been completely killed. It's weird because part of the plant will look totally fine and even have new growth, while right beside it branches are dead. I am operating on the assumption that it is a soil fungus. No insects or fungus visible on the plant.

Ideas welcome. I am stumped.
72cc8fc13fd5431adc317d735088f759.jpg
30457adc1c18aa835327a131f7ae51b0.jpg
28316e31108155bf4c8834db4533114b.jpg

Pretty sure he's in Greensboro, which makes it likely the plants committed suicide to end a life of boredom.

well I had some time today, so I dug one of the sick plants up and took it out to the Ag Extension office. They were stumped too. We decided to send it to Raleigh for a full-blown plant autopsy/toxicology workup. It's worth the $20 charge since I'm sick of planting hundreds of dollars of plants only for them all to die. They say the report will be back in a week or so.

well I had some time today, so I dug one of the sick plants up and took it out to the Ag Extension office. They were stumped too. We decided to send it to Raleigh for a full-blown plant autopsy/toxicology workup. It's worth the $20 charge since I'm sick of planting hundreds of dollars of plants only for them all to die. They say the report will be back in a week or so.

interested to see what they say. pretty cool service that's underutilized by homeowners

The ground is sour
c4c2ff988bebd83a1635e5adec593b9b55b4900832b24c1852e5e6093428280b.jpg

I was actually thinking just the opposite. That is the ground may be too alkaline from the concrete used in the mortar and wall construction. Haven't had time to check the preferred pH for this plant, but most laurels prefer acidic soil.

Back