• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

House kills bill that would prevent employers from demanding your facebook passwords

Good. I know in VA the State Police are making candidates log-in during their interview, with the interviewer dictating their site navigation, to avoid demanding the password.

Good. I know in VA the State Police are making candidates log-in during their interview, with the interviewer dictating their site navigation, to avoid demanding the password.

Am I misreading what BBD posted, or are you in favor of this policy to invade people's private lives?

I think ONW misunderstood the post. This amendment would have prevented employers from demanding your password. The House shot it down.

An employer can't ask about a candidate's marital status. Why would they be allowed to demand access to Facebook, since marital/relationship status is front and center on timeline? Isn't such a practice already in violation of the law?

You'd think. It's kind of weird that an employer can demand access to personal information.

Facebook log in helps employers to discriminate based on sexuality, national origin, religion, and other things.

Facebook is not private in the least bit and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves. If its that big of a deal to you don't take the job. Or just delete your Facebook.

Companies are takin advantage of the fact that the law hasn't caught up to the rapid growth of social media. This probably shouldnt be legal and in the long run might not be, but I have a hard time getting worked up about this. A job is more important than your Facebook.

I appreciate that you try to take the "middle road" when you make your posts, but this statement is simply asinine.

If they need a password to access it, it's private enough. They want more information than an employee wants to give.

If everything on Facebook was public, they wouldn't need a password. Facebook's privacy settings allow a user to restrict access to select individuals. I'm assuming you don't have a Facebook account, right?

I understand that. But if you have chosen to put something on facebook you have chosen to make it public. If you wouldn't want your employer to see it you shouldn't put it on Facebook. If you are worried about it it's not that hard to delete your facebook during the interview process.

A) There are privacy settings on facebook, so when you make a comment to your friends it should be treated as private.

B) Most people have one password... or a variation of one password. To give your password to facebook is to give your password to email, banking, this board, paypal, and any number of things I can't think about when I am drunk. (Even someone like me who has a great memory for strings of number, letters, and other characters really only uses two passwords.

If everything on Facebook was public, they wouldn't need a password. Facebook's privacy settings allow a user to restrict access to select individuals. I'm assuming you don't have a Facebook account, right?

Sorry Ph... you beat me to the punch.

Your response was more specific. I didn't even think of the multiple passwords angle.

I have a Facebook, and I use privacy settings. I also monitor my Facebook frequently to make sure there is nothing on there I wouldn't want my employer to see. (my company has a pretty comprehensive social media policy).

I also know that anything I put online, regardless of my privacy settings isnt really private. Now I agree that doesn't necessarily give a company the right to demand my password and have an extensive look around my Facebook. And I said that I think it should probably be illegal.

I'm just not surprised that companies are doing this and I'm really not that outraged since the solution from a prospective employee's end is so simple and painless.

You are really making moronic comments on this thread.

I think ONW misunderstood the post. This amendment would have prevented employers from demanding your password. The House shot it down.

Yes I did. Got it completely reversed.

I have windows to my house, should I be required to open the door to employers as well?

Don't take a job that requires such nonsense
Don't put stupid shit up on facebook

I mean, I'm all for privacy, but this doesn't seem to matter to me. I don't know what was in the bill, it may have been a decent bill in theory, but it could've been worded poorly or had some other things tied to it that were undesireable.

I have a Facebook, and I use privacy settings. I also monitor my Facebook frequently to make sure there is nothing on there I wouldn't want my employer to see. (my company has a pretty comprehensive social media policy).

I also know that anything I put online, regardless of my privacy settings isnt really private. Now I agree that doesn't necessarily give a company the right to demand my password and have an extensive look around my Facebook. And I said that I think it should probably be illegal.

I'm just not surprised that companies are doing this and I'm really not that outraged since the solution from a prospective employee's end is so simple and painless.

Should your employer have the right to demand the password to your e-mail account and sift through it as well. If you sent an e-mail or received an e-mail, its out there somewhere, so its not truly private. Should they be able to require you to bring your personal laptop in and login so they can sort through your browsing history?

An employer requiring a prospective employee to provide passwords to anything should not be allowed. If the employer wants to go online and review the information available to the public, so be it. That's not private. Requiring passwords so that private information can be reviewed is across the line.

Should your employer have the right to demand the password to your e-mail account and sift through it as well. If you sent an e-mail or received an e-mail, its out there somewhere, so its not truly private. Should they be able to require you to bring your personal laptop in and login so they can sort through your browsing history?

An employer requiring a prospective employee to provide passwords to anything should not be allowed. If the employer wants to go online and review the information available to the public, so be it. That's not private. Requiring passwords so that private information can be reviewed is across the line.

All you would have to do is deny
This is almost certainly illegal, except for situations where very thorough background checks are required, and if anyone didn't get a job because they refused to give up their facebook account he'd have no trouble getting a lawyer to drum up some kind of lawsuit.
Just because someone says the require something doesn't mean they actually do or can.....Almost every company I have a contract with starts off by saying....blah blah blah, corporate mandates say we have to have 90 day terms and can't accept price increases....blah blah blah....but it's all bullshit to get to see if you cave or not.

Don't people have a choice as to where to work (or whether to work at all)? If you believe that a prospective employee is unfairly demanding access to private information, you can simply apply with another company that doesn't demand it. Why is that so hard? Why does Congress have to get involved in this?

And in many industries, employees are public representatives of the company. The company has the right to know if you're posting pictures of your erect penis on social media accounts, because that might reflect poorly on the company if you did. It doesn't mean that your either gay or straight or bi; it just means that you're a perv. And some industries (medicine, law, banking, accounting) are required to follow strict confidentiality rules, and they have a vested interest in confirming that a potential employee is not a chronic gossiper on social media.

If you're so insistent of posting pictures of your penis on facebook, you might want to apply for a job with an employer who doesn't care if you do so.

can't believe there are this many people who are ok with allowing employers to do this

Back