• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How Do You Fix FT Shooting

tbpnwe

Reaction score
Game after game runs stopped by missed FT shooting.

Coaches out there, can this be fixed with a new coach?

Recruit players who can shoot FTs.

You can shoot 15,000 per day, but bad form and you will NEVER get any better.

Just watch tapes of Mark Price and you will see how to shoot a FT. You only need to shoot 5-10 a day if you have THAT perfect form.

From another thread:

[video]http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/04/rick-barrys-youngest-son-shoots-underhanded-free-throws-while-playing-for-college-of-charleston-video/[/video]

Going underhand would help at least 3 of our guys, if they could be persuaded to do it and to practice it during the off-season.

This team isn't concentrating on the line. It's dead giveaway about how they feel.

What I can't is they have allowed Devin to go back his bad habits of early last year. His shoulders are very often not square or even. He fixed it and forgot it. The coaches should have fixed this.

Shooting to the front of the rim, just over the front rim, instead of shooting to the back of the rim would help. So many shots are long.

Elbows in...there is no excuse whatsoever for missing right or left.

Practice.

Find assistant coaches who can teach proper shooting form. It is not about shooting 1000 FT's a day, it is about making 1000 FT's a day.

Rusty had a drill in high school where he had the kids shoot as many free throws as they could in a minute so they rapid fire shot free throws with bad form. I happened by practice that day and was astounded with what I saw. Why not work on MAKING 10 free throws and taking your time with your proper form, 3 dribbles & shoot or whatever you do at the line in your rhythm? Instead of rapid fire shoot.

From another thread:

[video]http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/04/rick-barrys-youngest-son-shoots-underhanded-free-throws-while-playing-for-college-of-charleston-video/[/video]

Going underhand would help at least 3 of our guys, if they could be persuaded to do it and to practice it during the off-season.

[Redacted] teaching our players to shoot underhand FTs would be the icing on the cake for his entire coaching career as well as wake forest basketball. It would be a fitting end in all ways and absolutely on par with [Redacted]'s personality. I fully support this idea.

Couple of guys named Chuck Daly and Hubie Brown taught a fundamental rule at a basketball camp down the road in the 60s. Keep your eyes on the front of the rim. Today, too many players watch the flight of the ball after they release their shot. Just watch any college BB game when the camera shot is from under the basket. The shooter's eyes jump straight up to follow the ball. Alum Phil Perry was at same camp that summer...yes he is in the pic. Just like a golf shot when you lift your head too quickly. And the same is true for any shot at the basket. Keep your eye on the front of the rim. Just watch the former Carolina Cougar George Lehman video on shooting.Old school.

My 7th grade coach always blamed poor free throw shooting on bad coaching....go figure

Couple of guys named Chuck Daly and Hubie Brown taught a fundamental rule at a basketball camp down the road in the 60s. Keep your eyes on the front of the rim. Today, too many players watch the flight of the ball after they release their shot. Just watch any college BB game when the camera shot is from under the basket. The shooter's eyes jump straight up to follow the ball. Alum Phil Perry was at same camp that summer...yes he is in the pic. Just like a golf shot when you lift your head too quickly. And the same is true for any shot at the basket. Keep your eye on the front of the rim. Just watch the former Carolina Cougar George Lehman video on shooting.Old school.

Saw Lehman many times in his ABA days. First pro player to ever shoot over 40% from the arc for a season and he fired up nearly 5 per game. It didn't seem like he'd make it that year but late in the season, he had a 5-5 game from the arc which nudged him over 40%. He was able to maintain it to the end of the year.

Now, please proceed with unabashed coach bashing. Even after 4 years I never tire of it.

Find assistant coaches who can teach proper shooting form. It is not about shooting 1000 FT's a day, it is about making 1000 FT's a day.

Rusty had a drill in high school where he had the kids shoot as many free throws as they could in a minute so they rapid fire shot free throws with bad form. I happened by practice that day and was astounded with what I saw. Why not work on MAKING 10 free throws and taking your time with your proper form, 3 dribbles & shoot or whatever you do at the line in your rhythm? Instead of rapid fire shoot.

When I was coaching I used to do a drill with my kids for free throw shooting that was timed. It was a team competition based on 2 guys and how many they would make. I would usually do it at the end of practice. I would have 2 guys per hoop and 1 guy would rebound for the other. They would shoot for 1 consecutive minute and the rebounder would yell out how many were made. After a minute they would have to run laps around the gym for minute and redo the drill with the other guy now rebounding for the shooter. I liked it bc it simulated tired legs , late game ft situation and the winning team had to do only half of the suicides we finished practice with.

Saw Lehman do basketball camp at campbell a few times.. what a shooter .. wow

Recruit players who can shoot FTs.

It's this. And then getting players to have confidence when they are out there. But mostly, we have a team that can't shoot from anywhere, and the FT are a symptom.

I call bullshit.

That shit never happened.

...unless you are talking about a game of knockout or something like that.

Back