• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How Good will Kentucky Be Next Season??

dstanleywfu

Reaction score
How Good will Kentucky Be Next Season?? The kind of remind me of the 08 UNC team that just dominated.. UK will be scary good next year

They will have 9 McDonald All-Americans on their roster. Duke will also have 9.

Here's an interesting article comparing Kentucky's 9 to NBA talent.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/only-one-nba-team-has-as-many-mcdonald-s-all-americans-as-kentucky-will-next-year-194851314.html

fb1c31d0-ccb6-11e3-9ecc-f1345511bcd9_all-americans-in-the-NBA1.jpg

Pretty obvious there is little correlation to NBA team success when viewing that graphic.

Pretty obvious there is little correlation to NBA team success when viewing that graphic.

Younger teams are full of burger boys for the most part it seems. Nets are kind of the exception.

Probation good? Well, after Cal leaves for the NBA.

Good enough for name redacted to coach them to a third place finish in the A-10.

Which guys left for the NBA?

Only James Young and Julius Randle left. Everyone else has announced they are returning.

Cal will face a new problem next year, that being keeping everyone happy with their playing time, especially in the front court. They will have six players that are 6'8 or taller: Alex Poythress 6'8, Trey Lyles 6'10 (incoming freshman, No. 6 hs senior this year), Marcus Lee 6'10, Karl Townes 6'11 (incoming freshman, No. 9 hs senior), Willie Cauley-Stein 7'0 and Dakari Johnson 7'0. All of those players currently play either the power forward or center position, but they are hoping Poythress will develop his shot and ball handling skills a little so he can play the small forward spot.

Only James Young and Julius Randle left. Everyone else has announced they are returning.

Cal will face a new problem next year, that being keeping everyone happy with their playing time, especially in the front court. They will have six players that are 6'8 or taller: Alex Poythress 6'8, Trey Lyles 6'10 (incoming freshman, No. 6 hs senior this year), Marcus Lee 6'10, Karl Townes 6'11 (incoming freshman, No. 9 hs senior), Willie Cauley-Stein 7'0 and Dakari Johnson 7'0. All of those players currently play either the power forward or center position, but they are hoping Poythress will develop his shot and ball handling skills a little so he can play the small forward spot.

Starting five will be twins, Poythress, Lee and WCS

Johnson was starting at the end of the season, even before WCS got hurt. And the word is that the Lyles kid has a great offensive game, so I could see him in front of Lee.

At any rate, yes the lineup will be huge.

Kentucky represents everything that is wrong with college basketball today. Everything. I would certainly hope that WF fans aren't holding up Kentucky as a program that we should try to emulate. If so, it is a sad state of affairs.

I might be a bit ignorant or misinformed...what is it KY does that is wrong/different than what other major programs do?

Kentucky represents everything that is wrong with college basketball today. Everything. I would certainly hope that WF fans aren't holding up Kentucky as a program that we should try to emulate. If so, it is a sad state of affairs.

Is Duke doing it the wrong way? They will have 9 burger boys next year too.

Care to elaborate?

Not really. Anyone who hasn't figured that out by now probably isn't going to figure it out....but here are a couple of things:

1) Their coach has had two different schools placed on probation for violating NCAA rules. Two different schools on probation for rules violations...and he is still coaching.

2) How many players have left Kentucky after one year in the last 5 or 6 years? Those guys are not "student athletes".

Thanks for expanding. As I view it, these are symptoms of a larger problem. Kentucky, and how they approach the business that is their men's basketball program, is not the problem. The fact that Kentucky's mens basketball program (as are ALL D1 basketball and football programs) is a business...now that is the problem.

Any time a third party has a financial interest in amateur athletics, trouble follows. This is never more evident than with the NCAA and its member institutions.

Not really. Anyone who hasn't figured that out by now probably isn't going to figure it out....but here are a couple of things:

1) Their coach has had two different schools placed on probation for violating NCAA rules. Two different schools on probation for rules violations...and he is still coaching.

2) How many players have left Kentucky after one year in the last 5 or 6 years? Those guys are not "student athletes".[/QUOTE]

How is Kentucky any different than any other school? Every school in the country would sign a 5-star player if they could and they'd hope he'd be so good as a freshman that it'd be stupid not to leave. The problem isn't Kentucky - it's the system. Kentucky's just taking advantage better than any other school.

2) How many players have left Kentucky after one year in the last 5 or 6 years? Those guys are not "student athletes".

My mistake, I thought we were using a message board where ideas can be exchanged, different viewpoints considered and discussed, and new perspectives gained. Never stop being you, OWG.

Back