• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How many more school shootings before the NRA allows common sense?

yeah i similarly foolishly engaged with an ex-marine 'libertarian' in a similar fashion. It's only a matter of time until the Great Confiscation, guys

Yeah this too. They hear "gun control" and automatically think you're coming to their house and taking their guns away. That's just the way the NRA and their puppet politicians have portrayed the issue (no gun restrictions vs no guns at all) and these people are gullible enough to believe it.

earlier in the conversation she said, "If you can't say that stricter gun control leads to more murders, you are not educated enough to have this conversation." (using Chicago to back that up)

...I knocked that one down pretty quickly.

It's baffling. Trump says it and it's automatically a truth (or alternative fact)

Yeah this too. They hear "gun control" and automatically think you're coming to their house and taking their guns away. That's just the way the NRA and their puppet politicians have portrayed the issue (no gun restrictions vs no guns at all) and these people are gullible enough to believe it.

What’s crazy is most of those people probably support stop and frisk.

That's because they think of inner cities when they think of stop and frisk - aka minorities.

Right. All these things are great! Stop and frisk!!! Ban everyone from shithole countries! Profile away to stop "them" from hurting us!!! But wait... how dare you suggest that I must prove my goodness and responsibility before buying a firearm!

remember when right wing nationalists took over a federal building and no one gave a shit, apparently

remember when right wing nationalists took over a federal building and no one gave a shit, apparently

2nd amendment, ITC. We must be able to protect ourselves from the government aggressors.

tell that to a laser guided bomb

1UXw2t.gif

Right. All these things are great! Stop and frisk!!! Ban everyone from shithole countries! Profile away to stop "them" from hurting us!!! But wait... how dare you suggest that I must prove my goodness and responsibility before buying a firearm!

I actually once had a discussion with someone regarding gun reform and brought up how successful other countries have been (they bring up that it didn't completely get rid of shootings as always. They do not understand proportions apparently.) and his main counter was that the cartel doesn't exist in those places so they can't illegally buy guns - especially Australia and the UK because they are islands and no one else can get there apparently. It really is mind-boggling how far these people reach to push their own agenda.

It is almost as if many people don't actually have a codified system of beliefs and just pick and choose whichever arguments support their own selfish mindset, regardless of how those positions may contradict each other. Huh.

Some levity: imagine how awesome things could be today if the constitution had said, "The right of the people to keep and ride horses shall not be infringed" and people defended that just as fervently. It's perfectly reasonable that could have been included, given the time period, and imagine how many more parks we'd have for grazing!

It is almost as if many people don't actually have a codified system of beliefs and just pick and choose whichever arguments support their own selfish mindset, regardless of how those positions may contradict each other. Huh.

"We must protect our children! Ban abortions! Arm teachers! Put guards at the door! ...but don't you dare make me pass a psych eval to legally purchase a gun, even though this might also help protect children! Government has no place over me and my rights! ...did I mention ban abortions?!"

(this was basically what I was met with in my 'conversation' with Pro-Gun Lady)

my first grad paper was on the Malheur occupation.

plenty of locals in Burns, Oregon still give a shit. just like some Nevada locals still give a shit about when Papa Bundy blocked Interstate 15 for more than two hours, then instructed those with him to take positions against federal agents and prepare to fire on them if his cattle weren't returned.

grown ass men were going to shoot each other over cows.

Some levity: imagine how awesome things could be today if the constitution had said, "The right of the people to keep and ride horses shall not be infringed" and people defended that just as fervently. It's perfectly reasonable that could have been included, given the time period, and imagine how many more parks we'd have for grazing!

tumblr_nmtvkn9I8K1s59l1yo1_1280-640x413.jpg

my first grad paper was on the Malheur occupation.

plenty of locals in Burns, Oregon still give a shit. just like some Nevada locals still give a shit about when Papa Bundy blocked Interstate 15 for more than two hours, then instructed those with him to take positions against federal agents and prepare to fire on them if his cattle weren't returned.

grown ass men were going to shoot each other over cows.

a well-regulated militia, if you will

a well-regulated militia, if you will

yeah. a lot of the people who physically supported both Papa and Mini Bundy in both aggressive acts identified as militiamen. they usually traveled in from out-of-state with all their weapons. locals mostly looked down on them. even the ones that are very pro-rancher.

as a phrase, "a well-regulated militia" rings really well until you actually start looking at examples where these "militias" are deployed. it tends to be over some single local issue that is being handled relatively peacefully. when the militias show up it gets real dumb real quick. it becomes a symbolic struggle instead of a small legal one.

yeah. a lot of the people who physically supported both Papa and Mini Bundy in both aggressive acts identified as militiamen. they usually traveled in from out-of-state with all their weapons. locals mostly looked down on them. even the ones that are very pro-rancher.

as a phrase, "a well-regulated militia" rings really well until you actually start looking at examples where these "militias" are deployed. it tends to be over some single local issue that is being handled relatively peacefully. when the militias show up it gets real dumb real quick. it becomes a symbolic struggle instead of a small legal one.

it's almost like that 2nd amendment was written during a different time... and maybe isn't as applicable today...

Back