• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How many of the following "guy things" can you do?

Never field dressed an animal, but how hard can it be once you get the skin off? I can break down a chicken pretty easily and how animal bodies are put together.

At least the way I was taught, step 1 with a deer involves cutting around the anus without nicking the colon. Other than that, severing the windpipe is probably the trickiest part? Guts kinda slide out from there. Like most things hunting and fishing, environment makes things easier or harder. You're typically in pretty cold weather on uneven terrain, and draining the blood on a deer face down without getting dirt and grit in the cavity isn't always easy. Sharp knife, shallow cuts, can be done in a few minutes if you know what you're doing. If you're bow hunting, gotta watch out for the broadhead stuck somewhere inside--don't want to cut yourself.

Just did the golf ball bounce 488 times in a row. Should have just kept going for 500 but the dog was whining at the door. I am all that is man.

At least the way I was taught, step 1 with a deer involves cutting around the anus without nicking the colon. Other than that, severing the windpipe is probably the trickiest part? Guts kinda slide out from there. Like most things hunting and fishing, environment makes things easier or harder. You're typically in pretty cold weather on uneven terrain, and draining the blood on a deer face down without getting dirt and grit in the cavity isn't always easy. Sharp knife, shallow cuts, can be done in a few minutes if you know what you're doing. If you're bow hunting, gotta watch out for the broadhead stuck somewhere inside--don't want to cut yourself.

I've seen people just take shanks and loins to make it super quick. Those people are dicks, though.

IIRC, you're not supposed to pierce the spleen either?

Really shouldn't puncture any organs!

ETA: But yea if you accidentally cut the colon or spleen you'll spoil the meat and almost certainly gag from the smell too.

Really shouldn't puncture any organs!

ETA: But yea if you accidentally cut the colon or spleen you'll spoil the meat and almost certainly gag from the smell too.

What do you do with your meat, bro?

b326e017114eca0c915ad5411a35b14f.gif

Jerky + venison steaks, though I haven't been up to hunting camp in a few years. My dad's brothers have a place in northern Michigan. Just 10 dudes playing cards, drinking til 2 AM, sleep farting for two hours in a crowded room of bunkbeds to keep everyone warm, getting up at 4:30 to go to blinds, and then sitting in the subzero hungover and marveling at God's country. I've seen coyotes, bears, moose, red fox, wolves. Sadly think I've missed the opportunity to see a wolverine; the neighboring cabin (which may or may not be KKK/Michigan Militia) has a taxidermied wolverine that's about 75 years old, but I think even that was shot up in Canada.

Jerky + venison steaks, though I haven't been up to hunting camp in a few years. My dad's brothers have a place in northern Michigan. Just 10 dudes playing cards, drinking til 2 AM, sleep farting for two hours in a crowded room of bunkbeds to keep everyone warm, getting up at 4:30 to go to blinds, and then sitting in the subzero hungover and marveling at God's country. I've seen coyotes, bears, moose, red fox, wolves. Sadly think I've missed the opportunity to see a wolverine; the neighboring cabin (which may or may not be KKK/Michigan Militia) has a taxidermied wolverine that's about 75 years old, but I think even that was shot up in Canada.

Man, a moose just walked alongside of my wife and me on a trail in Glacier for around half a mile about a decade ago. It was one of the most unnerving experiences of my life. It was never aggressive, but those things are just so massive. Weirdly enough, Jack Hanna was attacked by a grizzly bear on that same trail less than a week later.

Yea the first time I ever saw a moose was at Grand Teton. If you're up close enough they're like fucking elephants. Majestic brutes.

the only time i saw a moose while living in Maine was a an injured cow. a Maine Warden officer shot it in the head with a shotgun and they had to get a tractor to move it

Saw one in October on my work/recruiting trip to Utah. Cow with her calf bedded down only about 50 feet off the hiking trail. We hightailed it out of there with the mom stood up and took a couple steps towards us. What a massive animal - looked about the size of a Tahoe.

it was a really stupid thing to do, but my mom and I followed a black bear around Kings Canyon National Park for a mile or so at a distance of like 25 feet

only time I saw a moose was driving into Yellowstone from Idaho

it was a really stupid thing to do, but my mom and I followed a black bear around Kings Canyon National Park for a mile or so at a distance of like 25 feet

only time I saw a moose was driving into Yellowstone from Idaho

That is indeed an incredibly stupid thing to do, Juice.

Dwight Schrute question posed to all of you. Why do you play dead during a grizzly attack and fight back against a black bear attack? Don't google it. Go.

That is indeed an incredibly stupid thing to do, Juice.

Dwight Schrute question posed to all of you. Why do you play dead during a grizzly attack and fight back against a black bear attack? Don't google it. Go.

you have zero control over the Grizzly situation. Those things are fucking massive. Like the moose discussion above, just being in the presence of one is humbling. I remember seeing one on the next ridge over while I was at Philmont. The thing was a half mile away from me, but every fiber of my being understood that I was completely out of control of the situation. If it had wanted to kill me and our whole crew, it could have and there was nothing we could have done; even collectively.

Black bears are cuuuuutteeeeee.

BEARS. BEETS. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA.

I saw a moose near Seward Alaska on our scout trip there a couple of years ago. Hope to add another to the collection when we hit the Tetons in June.

I thought you played dead for black and grizzly bears if they’re attacking...?

And stand up tall, scream, and throw shit at cougars, etc....?

I’m only an amateur outdoorsman.

Back