• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How Not To Talk To Your Kids

that was actually a pretty interesting read, and I can definitely see myself in that (not wanting to put forth effort in high school as though that undermined my being 'smart', for sure).

your link takes you to page 2 of the article, though. note for anyone else going to read it.

that was actually a pretty interesting read, and I can definitely see myself in that (not wanting to put forth effort in high school as though that undermined my being 'smart', for sure).

your link takes you to page 2 of the article, though. note for anyone else going to read it.

Agreed.

LadyDeacToy and I were actually having a very similar discussion with my parents last week on vacation since now that we have a kid we obviously are taking more interest in parenting styles and advice. I don't think my parents necessarily did anything wrong raising me, but, like, lbE, I can see that I probably have some similar issues in terms of being labeled "gifted" growing up and doing well in school. Thus if I didn't think I'd be good at something or something didn't come as easily, I probably gave up more quickly.

I imagine it will be difficult to raise our daughter (and any other children we might have) and avoid general praise and comments on intelligence, but the article does seem to make sense.

Back