• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How to lower the murder rate of a city without police

*wipes eyes*

pourman just posted a Mother Jones article?

So just so I understand ... paying people not to kill other people is a good idea, but paying people not to have kids is ridiculous. Makes sense.

So just so I understand ... paying people not to kill other people is a good idea, but paying people not to have kids is ridiculous. Makes sense.
Wait, wut? Who said it was a bad idea to pay people to not have kids? That seems like an awesome idea.

I've said repeatedly that we should offer something like $25,000 to any person of childbearing age who wants to be voluntarily sterilized. It would solve or drastically improve virtually all of our societal problems (poverty, schools, crime, unemployment, etc.). But I'm usually then called either a eugenics proponent or racist, or combination of the two.

How come the private sector hasn't taken care of this naturally? Not profitable to have Americans with good wages living in safe neighborhoods, eh? Not profitable for banks to loan moneny to Americans?

hmm, must be more profitable to automate and keep labor offshore, and just give straight up cash to the poors. Oh, an shift all the tax burden for this largely to the middle and upper middle class. As for financial institutions, much more profitable to engineer strange financial instruments and get bailed out when they fail.

and of problem. move along.

Back