• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How to refuse a DUI checkpoint

OGBDeacon07

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this guy just got lucky or if having the camera in-hand, pointed at the cops actually made the difference..

so what, you can just not say anything and eventually they'll let you go? someone want to chime in on the law here?

"Am I free to go" is always a good question to use

I feel like they could tell from how he looked and what few words he said that they knew he was sober and trying to get them to do something stupid on camera so they just let him go. That's my thought anyway.

I think there's a recent "case" where a Defense lawyer got stopped in Raleigh or somewhere and refused to even roll down his window. He maybe cracked it to pass out his license. I think he still got arrested, but I don't know the outcome.

As for this one, my guess is that he did not smell of alcohol; no red, glassy eyes; fumbling; etc.

so what, you can just not say anything and eventually they'll let you go? someone want to chime in on the law here?

They are investigating you the second you roll down the window. You don't have to supply any information other than your license and registration and they can ask you to step out of the car.

Yes, unless they have probable cause to believe you have committed a crime, they have to let you go.

If you're drunk, here's what to do....tip I got from a real good lawyer who parties serious and used it a bunch and never fails...

Keep an unopened bottle of liquor of your choice under your seat or handy. When cop approaches, keep windows up and doors locked and turn off the car, remove keys. If possible slide over to passenger seat. Then, open the bottle and chug as much as you can tolerate. Make sure the cop sees that the bottle was full and unopened before you chug. Then, feel free to roll down the window or get out and be very polite with the cop. Problem solved.

Does this work consistently? What he do that was so right?

No way to prove you were drunk driving because the cop saw you get drunk after the fact. Won't work if you've been swerving and shit, but works at checkpoints

Talking about the original video dude. What you heard makes me think the cop will tell you "this is what happens when you meet a stranger in the alps."

If you're drunk, here's what to do....tip I got from a real good lawyer who parties serious and used it a bunch and never fails...

Keep an unopened bottle of liquor of your choice under your seat or handy. When cop approaches, keep windows up and doors locked and turn off the car, remove keys. If possible slide over to passenger seat. Then, open the bottle and chug as much as you can tolerate. Make sure the cop sees that the bottle was full and unopened before you chug. Then, feel free to roll down the window or get out and be very polite with the cop. Problem solved.

that's amazing. that actually works?

Back