• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

how tourism can destroy the places that we love

At best tangentially related, but if you want to go to Zion NP, go soon. It's so crowded, and there is a big development push on the SW side of the park that will make things worse.

edited to say SW instead of SE

Last edited:
At best tangentially related, but if you want to go to Zion NP, go soon. It's so crowded, and there is a big development push on the SE side of the park that will make things worse.

This is turrible news. One my favorite places on Earth. The Narrows is a wild time.

Swap out "tourism" for "[Redacted]" in the thread title and you can just end the boards.

This is turrible news. One my favorite places on Earth. The Narrows is a wild time.

Yeah you have to win a lottery for a permit to do anything other than day hike Narrows from the bottom. My understanding is it's not that hard to get a permit if you plan well and are flexible, but it's going to get worse and the permit-free parts of the park are overrun

Yeah you have to win a lottery for a permit to do anything other than day hike Narrows from the bottom. My understanding is it's not that hard to get a permit if you plan well and are flexible, but it's going to get worse and the permit-free parts of the park are overrun

this is what's getting difficult. not so much the permits themselves (yet), but the timing. makes it a little more challenging.

it's all a blessing and a curse; it's wonderful that people are interested in seeing these amazing places, but definitely true that there are real effects to that many people showing up.
I find the bigger issue to be what was addressed in the article; the idea that global tourism, when done incorrectly, is more detrimental to developing nations and the environments there than if things were just left to be (Cambodia as an example).

Jesus H Caruso, what a bunch of whiny first world problems

The Narrows is cool, but the hike/climb to Angel's Landing is cooler. Zion is a fabulous place, but it was already getting overcrowded a few years ago. Just finding a parking space is a miracle.

The stupidest world wide development I have seen more and more of is the locking of a padlock on a historic landmark to show you undying love for someone. They should give cops leeway to throw you in jail for a few hours and totally wreck your travel plans. Seriously, who is the idiot who came up with this and what kind of person isn't appalled by it?

Love_Padlocks___Cologne___2_by_BenHeine.jpg

So, being the abominable snowman is part of the human condition?

The stupidest world wide development I have seen more and more of is the locking of a padlock on a historic landmark to show you undying love for someone. They should give cops leeway to throw you in jail for a few hours and totally wreck your travel plans. Seriously, who is the idiot who came up with this and what kind of person isn't appalled by it?

Love_Padlocks___Cologne___2_by_BenHeine.jpg

Probably because it was in Homeland.

+1 Zion is my favorite NP that I've been to so far

The Narrows is cool, but the hike/climb to Angel's Landing is cooler. Zion is a fabulous place, but it was already getting overcrowded a few years ago. Just finding a parking space is a miracle.

Zion is one of my favorite places in the world. Went on a xcountry road trip a few years ago and spent 3 days there. The Angels Landing hike is amazing, especially the last half mile where you're basically climbing a ridge thats only 10-15 feet wide and both sides of the ridge are sheer cliffs

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Probably because it was in Homeland.

i haven't checked recently, but at least for a long time, they left those locks up at the park. i was a little surprised they weren't required to return the park to its original condition when they were done filming there.

Back