• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How Trump & Brexit won by using your online data

https://www.google.com/amp/s/qz.com...tup-working-for-hillary-clinton-campaign/amp/

2015 - referencing Obama campaign assistance provided by Eric Schmidt’s “Groundwork”

There is also another gap in play: The shrinking distance between Google and the Democratic Party. Former Google executive Stephanie Hannon is the Clinton campaign’s chief technology officer, and a host of ex-Googlers are currently employed as high-ranking technical staff at the Obama White House. Schmidt, for his part, is one of the most powerful donors in the Democratic Party—and his influence does not stem only from his wealth, estimated by Forbes at more than $10 billion.

—— Deep Ties —

And then the kicker — these practices have been employed since 2012

The 2012 campaign’s analytics team constructed a complex model of the electorate to identify 15 million undecided voters that could be swayed to Obama’s side. They drew on databases which compiled a comprehensive record of voters’ interactions with the campaign—Facebook pages liked, volunteer contacts, events attended, money donated—and assigned them a score based on how strongly they supported Obama.

I think we should only allow the Russians to harvest and use big data. They know how to get the right results.

LOL. And you say that I am insufferable. The problem with some of you young mods is that you aren't mature enough to understand or appreciate the responsibility that goes along with the power you are able to wield. So you wield that power indiscriminately....rationalizing any decision you make with a simple "it's not that big of a deal (DV7)", or "we need to do something (RJ)"...relying not upon any kind of consistent system, but your own personal prejudices. It's actually rather comical, in a way, because you don't seem to yet be able to even comprehend the uneven manner in which you are conducting "board policy"....which is really an empty term, because there really isn't a board policy. You seem to just be making it up on the fly as you bounce along from one crisis situation to another.

ETA: As far as posters' rep, avatars, etc is concerned, the mods remind me of teenagers with a key to their parents' liquor cabinet. They delight in being able to sneak into it when nobody is around.

LOL. And you say that I am insufferable. The problem with some of you young mods is that you aren't mature enough to understand or appreciate the responsibility that goes along with the power you are able to wield. So you wield that power indiscriminately....rationalizing any decision you make with a simple "it's not that big of a deal (DV7)", or "we need to do something (RJ)"...relying not upon any kind of consistent system, but your own personal prejudices. It's actually rather comical, in a way, because you don't seem to yet be able to even comprehend the uneven manner in which you are conducting "board policy"....which is really an empty term, because there really isn't a board policy. You seem to just be making it up on the fly as you bounce along from one crisis situation to another.

ETA: As far as posters' rep, avatars, etc is concerned, the mods remind me of teenagers with a key to their parents' liquor cabinet. They delight in being able to sneak into it when nobody is around.

The dozens or hundreds of threats to kill me or wish me or my family dead are OK.

The year of stalking me is OK.

A mod using his position to put Nazi propoganda as my avatar is OK.

I apologized and gave my word that nothing would happen. This is diametrically opposite to those who promise to continue and wish me death.

Also in the interim since it happened, Slim and I have even made peace. Other fulfilling phna's request for retaliation, I have received many negs without retaliating to any of the usual suspects.

I have proven for that week that I have changed. To do this now, without any warning, after an apology and proof it won't happen is as wrong as my actions and the actions of the mod who put all of this into motion.

Of that person is not going to be held responsible.

Beautifully expressed. And this behavior we see from Silicon Valley to College campuses. A basic lack of understanding the nature of truly free expression.

Cambridge Farcicalis

“What the Facebook-Cambridge Analytica panic lacks in relevance it sure makes up for in melodramatic rhetoric. Bloomberg, for instance, says that “revelations of the apparent skulduggery that helped Donald Trump win the 2016 presidential election keep sending shock waves across the political landscape.” It’s true. Everyone is talking about it. The story has consumed most of the mainstream media.

The theory goes something like this: Facebook obtained information on users who took a personality quiz with their online friends. Another outlet, Cambridge Analytica, harvested that information to brainwash a bunch of rubes, and then yada, yada, yada … Russia! Senators are now demanding executives come forth and answer questions. Investigations must be open. Democracy is under threat.

Former Cambridge Analytica contractor and now-professional whistleblower Christopher Wylie told CNN that while at the company he helped build a “psychological warfare weapon” to “exploit mental vulnerabilities that our algorithms showed that [Facebook users] had.”

So, in other words, he worked in the advertising business.

Those who have covered politics for more than a single Trump-cycle should know better than to use this kind of unnerving rhetoric for what amounts to average microtargeting, which has been used by hundreds, if not thousands, of firms. Yet, now, when it serves to bolster convoluted theories about an election being overthrown, terms like “psychographics” and “breach” are being thrown around to make it sound like someone hacked into voting rolls after boring into the deepest recesses of our souls.

Moreover, the idea that Facebook can know your “mental vulnerabilities” is only true if you share your nightmares with them. If you’re uncomfortable with data mining and your information being shared, don’t take surveys. Because, breaking news: You don’t have to be on Facebook. You don’t have to use Twitter. You don’t have a constitutional right to play FarmVille without answering some questions. You don’t get free stuff. The very existence of these tech companies is predicated on mining data so that they, or third parties, can sell you things.“

This guy gets it :)

Eitan Hersh
Eitan Hersh
@eitanhersh
“Let’s start with fb data, use it to predict personalities, then use that to predict political views, and then use that to figure out messages and messengers and just the right time of a campaign to make a lasting persuasive impact” ...sounds like a failed PhD prospectus to me

Hahaha

and the gist of it all..

“Yet, on the most obvious level, Cambridge Analytica is another story about double standards. The only consistent position the Left seems to take these days is that the mechanisms they use to keep power automatically transform into nefarious and un-democratic when the opposition use them.

By constantly using the word “breach,” for instance, reporters are trying to insinuate that someone stole voter data that typically is off limits. Cambridge Analytica was allowed to pull that profile data. Facebook only changed its policy in early 2015. But then Trump campaign dropped Cambridge Analytica before the general election for the RNC data, reportedly never using the any of the “psychographic” information. According to CBS News, in Sept. 2016, it had “tested the RNC data, and it proved to be vastly more accurate.”

Even if they hadn’t, however, their efforts would have been akin to those being heralded as revolutionary when it served the interests of Democrats. Facebook, in fact, allowed the Obama campaign to data harvest in the same way that is now generating headlines and handwringing. Do you remember any outrage and trepidation over privacy and manipulation of your thoughts in 2012? If anything, there should be outrage that a massive social media company allowed one party to do things that it forbade another.

Back