• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How will Sandy impact the election?

Liquid Karma

Eat a dick, hackers!
Staff member
Reaction score
Is anyone else curious what impact the storm could have on election day? We are looking at a large portion of the population in this country possibly being without power or mass transportation during election day. This could have a huge impact on voter turnout. Will it even matter if all of the states in question were already heavy Obama leans?

Is there any chance at all that the polls are allowed to stay open past election day in areas hit hard by the storm?

Would any perceived delay/lapse in government response to this disaster push Romney over the top? I fully expect that even if our federal government responds flawlessly to this disaster that there is a large contingent of influential media persons that will go out of their way to spin the narrative to the opposite.

I would have to imagine that transporting delays would dampen voter turnout which usually seems to favor Republicans.

I would have to imagine that transporting delays would dampen voter turnout which usually seems to favor Republicans.

Will it actually matter in places like NY and MA where Obama will win handily no matter the turnout? It might lower Obama's popular vote total, but not actually change the result in the EC.

VA, NH, PA...maybe a tiny bit.

Overall, no effect.

Personally, I am appalled but not surprised that Liquid Karma is politicizing this tragedy. Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of the Northeast and particularly Virginia and maybe Pennsylvania as they attempt to rebuild their lives after the terrible devastation of this hurricane. We have been in contact with state and local officials and we have confidence that they are ready to respond as needed. I have faith in the American people to rally behind each other to overcome this tragedy even while those like Liquid Karma are more concerned with more trivial matters.

(in other words, there will be plenty of grandstanding)

Is anyone else curious what impact the storm could have on election day? We are looking at a large portion of the population in this country possibly being without power or mass transportation during election day. This could have a huge impact on voter turnout. Will it even matter if all of the states in question were already heavy Obama leans?

Is there any chance at all that the polls are allowed to stay open past election day in areas hit hard by the storm?

Would any perceived delay/lapse in government response to this disaster push Romney over the top? I fully expect that even if our federal government responds flawlessly to this disaster that there is a large contingent of influential media persons that will go out of their way to spin the narrative to the opposite.

I think the Obama administration, FEMA, and the Bloomberg administration have done a great job of preparing people for the storm. The only person who might look bad is the guy who is trying to restructure FEMA, effectively neutralizing the federal governments ability to coordinate a response as well-handled as this one. That'd be Romney, for those following at home.

ETA: I agree with ph, though - bad taste overall. This storm is uniting more than it's dividing, IMO.

ETA: As RJ wrote on another thread, the worst is yet to come. Hopefully it stays manageable in NY and my prayers to those on LI, PA, and NJ who already have experienced a ton of devastation.

Any thought that Congress would delay the election if weather conditions made it impossible to tally votes in these areas? I doubt it, but...

I think the Obama administration, FEMA, and the Bloomberg administration have done a great job of preparing people for the storm. The only person who might look bad is the guy who is trying to restructure FEMA, effectively neutralizing the federal governments ability to coordinate a response as well-handled as this one. That'd be Romney, for those following at home.

ETA: I agree with ph, though - bad taste overall. This storm is uniting more than it's dividing, IMO.

ETA: As RJ wrote on another thread, the worst is yet to come. Hopefully it stays manageable in NY and my prayers to those on LI, PA, and NJ who already have experienced a ton of devastation.

I'm pretty sure Ph's post was very tongue in cheek.

Will it have an impact on any possible October Surprises the media was about to throw at us this week?

Any thought that Congress would delay the election if weather conditions made it impossible to tally votes in these areas? I doubt it, but...

That's basically what I'm wondering. Wouldn't that be a state issue?

Very much tongue in cheek.

I can't see delaying the election. On a state basis that would be a mess unless all the states agree not to tally their votes next Tuesday.

State can appeal to Justice Dept to extend voting, but I would hope that people are back to work sooner than next Tuesday. Obviously the States should make that call and be allowed to do what they want.

Things will be fine by a week from tomorrow even in the worst hit areas

One candidate is going to screw this up. Not sure which one, yet, but one of them is going to do it.

One candidate is going to screw this up. Not sure which one, yet, but one of them is going to do it.

I don's see any way Obama screws this up. He just needs to keep quiet and stay out of the way.

I don's see any way Obama screws this up. He just needs to keep quiet and stay out of the way.

bush%20and%20katrina.jpg

Anything. I mean anything Obama does will be perceived as a screw up by the right.

Romney needs to keep quiet and stay out of the way. He doesn't need to look presidential, because he's not president.

I could see Obama saying something at the end of the week about how Romney wants to dismantle the organization that is helping people post-storm...and it could backfire horribly. Obama should be in the prevent defense by now, but you never know.

Same thing applies to Romney. Sit down and shut up, otherwise your critique of the President as he deals with a natural disaster could backfire just as horribly.

Back