• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How's this for a lazy mid-season review of the Deacs?

DeacDude

Reaction score
http://www.news-record.com/sports/t...cle_f680f19e-92fc-11e4-bea8-9f2bfceebf72.html

This is the kind of review he could have written BEFORE the season and it would actually be pretty much on target. Clearly, he hasn't spent any time watching since then. Devin and CMM are "quite good"? No mention of Wilbekin as a key freshman? Miles Overton mention? uh........... What has happened to true ACC coverage by the local guys?

My first thought was this was something he wrote before Christmas to fill the paper over the holidays when they are short-staffed. But DeacDude is spot on - my God man, you're only writing about 4 teams, and Miles transferred two weeks before Christmas, so you should know that by now. Weak effort.

Latimer gives both his email and phone number in the article. I plan to inform him that Wake is the only acc school located in the
Triad, just like Greensboro. I tire of reading the great coverage of the Triangle ACC schools, omitting quality reporting on Wake Forest. They do reprint some of Dan's article from the W-S J. They seldom, if ever, send a reporter to our games except when playing the Triangle Three.

Hope you will send him a message also. Better coverage will help with local recruiting.

Woof, that's bad. Looks like one member of the forum has chimed in in the comments section.

He responded on twitter and gave a sort of apology while agreeing he didn't really do his research.

It didn't really require research, just following the closest ACC school to his paper.

From the comments section. Well said.

"This is a lazy piece of "journalism". Has Mr; Powell actually been following the ACC this season? If so, he would have know that Wake's Miles Overton has transferred. That makes it kind of unlikely that he will help Danny Manning's rebuilding program.

He also failed to mention Mitchell Wilbekin. He's shooting 44% on threes and is averaging 1.8 steals per game.

Powell should really watch the teams play and do his homework. He would get a D in a freshman journalism class for being lazy and inaccurate."

He responded on twitter and gave a sort of apology while agreeing he didn't really do his research.

where is this? I checked his twitter feed and didn't see anything related other than a link to the story. What'd he say?

He seems to be friends with the nation's most appropriately named sportswriter - Luke DeCock.

So did he add the part about Overton transferring after he was called out on it, or did the person commenting just fail to read that part?

Here's the article-you decide:

"What we don’t know: Which underclassmen will develop in the course of ACC play? Konstantinos Mitoglou, Cornelius Hudson and Miles Overton have all shown potential, but Danny Manning’s rebuilding project is easier if those young players grow up instead of transferring, as Overton announced he would in December."

Maybe you should read it rather than taking a lazy semi-cheap shot.

RJ, we are referring to the print editions... not the online additions which has been updated. I reread my hard copy.

that's actually been changed just since about 11 a.m. this morning. Online version had the same error as print until sometime after then.

Look, even the way it was fixed in kinda lazy - Overton is the only one of the three mentioned to have transferred, so someone kinda did a half-assed fix to cover their asses instead of re-writing the whole sentence.

"What we don’t know: Which underclassmen will develop in the course of ACC play? Konstantinos Mitoglou, Cornelius Hudson and Miles Overton have all shown potential, but Danny Manning’s rebuilding project is easier if those young players grow up instead of transferring, as Overton announced he would in December."

Seriously? He clearly had to read it before knowing the Overton part had been added. Talk about cheap shots.

Or were you targeting the OP, who clearly also read it?

Last edited:

When I read it online earlier today, it did not mention anything about Overton transferring. It was added after the error was pointed out.

Back