• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"I Don't Trust the Internet"

WhatUTalkinBout Willis

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
Right here, chained to this desk for eternity
So I'm CIO at this company and we have a billing department. Public-facing billing department.

Every bill we send out has the website (secure) where people can go online and pay their bills. We send out about 2000 bills a day.

My quandary is this: why the fuck do so many people call us up to pay their bill over the phone with a credit card? Everyone has internet access, right?

The sweet irony is that our billing people actually log onto the online bill pay website and enter the data for the person while they are on the phone. It's the SAME FUCKING WEBSITE, they're basically just doubling their security risk by calling someone to log on to the Internet for them and giving them all of the credit card or checking acct info.

what are you sending out bills for? not everyone has internet.

i'm guessing (total WAG) that at least a quarter of US households don't have any internet, and only about half have high speed connections.

I deal with this all the time; it's not hard to understand:

1) some people are old
2) it places the "responsibility" on the CSR/company if the payment gets fucked up
3) psychological feeling that the client feels like they paid their bill and the company knows it
4) client doesn't know you're using the same website, so they think your in-house system is faster/better/more reliable

Willis, you should be glad they don't show up to your building to pay by check.

A boss at a previous job would not pay any bills over the phone or internet. She always went to Duke Energy's office to pay the electrical bill, always went to her insurance place to pay that bill, and always went to the bank to pay off credit card bills. She still uses AOL to get on the internet also. She is about 45 now I guess; not terribly old just a bit on the paranoid side.

i'm sure that 18% is just going to hop in his/her benz and drive to the library to pay bills instead of picking up the phone

Yep, and if security is a concern, using a computer at the library probably isn't going to make them feel comfortable either.

Valid original post, but ITC and others have answered why people call in.

I remember breaking out in a cold sweat when I punched my credit card into a webpage to buy a camera online in 1997.
But now most credit card issuers are pretty good about fraud liability.

With the exception of TWDeac, I consider myself one of the more computer savvy people on the boards.

I do not trust the Internet. I treat the Internet like I would a pet tiger. I know that it's fluffy and cuddly on the outside, but one wrong big move or a lot of wrong small moves means it is going to maul my face.

Yep. remember at least a few cases of hacking where people's data was stolen within the last few yrs.

Yep, and if security is a concern, using a computer at the library probably isn't going to make them feel comfortable either.

Valid original post, but ITC and others have answered why people call in.

I agree with most points being made in this thread as to why people choose not to pay online, but I don't think access is one of them. Even the article I posted said that a main reason was that people just don't see a need for technology/computers/internet in their daily lives and thus choose not to have it or use it. They may have the option of access, but they choose not to use it for whatever reason.

So I'm CIO at this company and we have a billing department. Public-facing billing department.

Every bill we send out has the website (secure) where people can go online and pay their bills. We send out about 2000 bills a day.

My quandary is this: why the fuck do so many people call us up to pay their bill over the phone with a credit card? Everyone has internet access, right?

The sweet irony is that our billing people actually log onto the online bill pay website and enter the data for the person while they are on the phone. It's the SAME FUCKING WEBSITE, they're basically just doubling their security risk by calling someone to log on to the Internet for them and giving them all of the credit card or checking acct info.

You should move your financial system to the cloud. #realtalk

I agree with most points being made in this thread as to why people choose not to pay online, but I don't think access is one of them. Even the article I posted said that a main reason was that people just don't see a need for technology/computers/internet in their daily lives and thus choose not to have it or use it. They may have the option of access, but they choose not to use it for whatever reason.

I think the 'whatever reason' would be security though. There is the definitely the perception that accessing a public computer is less secure.

With the exception of TWDeac, I consider myself one of the more computer savvy people on the boards.

I do not trust the Internet. I treat the Internet like I would a pet tiger. I know that it's fluffy and cuddly on the outside, but one wrong big move or a lot of wrong small moves means it is going to maul my face.

So that's how your wallpaper got turned to penises.

Back