• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

i fucking hate stink bugs

dmcheatw

Reaction score
seriously, i live in a house built in like 1930, and i am "euthanising" 10-20 a day. and yeah, my house smells a bit weird.

This happens every year in the attic, and they're fairly immune (apparently) to typical boric acid and roach/ant killers.

How do i kill these?

I thought about trying to buy a pet mantis for the summer, but it seems like they're usually available in "pods" that release 100 mantises each, and i'm not trying to replace a stink bug problem with a mantis infestation. one infestation at a time please.

Call the exterminator?

i think they go for the rotting wood on the outside of the converted attic windows which are not accessible at all. that's a thought though, i got a ladder if the bug man don't. not sure if they have access to better chemicals than I do, i would guess so.

GSO's link actually specifically states pesticides are typically ineffective.

I really like the idea of fighting fire with fire (preying mantis) but i don't know much about them or how successful they would be when in an artificial environment. also not sure if it's possible to just get one. I wonder if anyone on these boards has ever kept one as a pet or tried releasing a few pods around their house in spring just to keep general insect levels down.

i think they go for the rotting wood on the outside of the converted attic windows which are not accessible at all. that's a thought though, i got a ladder if the bug man don't. not sure if they have access to better chemicals than I do, i would guess so.

GSO's link actually specifically states pesticides are typically ineffective.

I really like the idea of fighting fire with fire (preying mantis) but i don't know much about them or how successful they would be when in an artificial environment. also not sure if it's possible to just get one. I wonder if anyone on these boards has ever kept one as a pet or tried releasing a few pods around their house in spring just to keep general insect levels down.

Story time!
My little brother used to enjoy Christmas tree shopping for the sole reason of walking around the lot collecting the praying mantis egg sacs that fell out of the trees as they were unfurled into their stands. He would keep them in a box in his room as part of his "museum" (which also included other random nature artifacts like rocks and a piece of shed snake skin).

This was all well and good, until one of them decided it REALLY liked the conditions in there and all of a sudden... BAM. So many infant praying mantises (mantii?) We were able to contain most of them in an aquarium leftover from my hamster raising days, and there were about 100 dime-sized little buggers in there (they're super cute at that size, btw). At that age, they tend to eat each other, so pretty soon they dwindled in numbers. By the time there were about 10 left they were half-dollar sized (they were as long as a half dollar is wide), and we were getting little crickets from the pet store to feed them. This did pretty well, but they still fought (as they apparently do in nature). After probably 6 weeks, we were down to two full-sized praying mantii. Their fight to the death was brutal, but we ended up with one 5" long beast of a mantis, with the strength of 100 mantii (since it had eaten all of them and came out victorious). That spring we could finally let it go because it wasn't so cold anymore (we couldn't do this to begin with because the thing hatched in January, not April when it should have), and it lived a happy life on the bush by the front door pretty much all summer. Obviously it was only one at that point and I don't know that it necessarily affected insect levels; I think the little green anole lizards and monster wolf spiders do a better job of that.

damn i could really use ur mantis champion right now.

this is kinda why i wanna buy them signally and hope it make it thru the summer, although ur experience makes me also kinda wanna buy a pod in a brutal way so that whoever i eventually send against the stink bugs will be a well tested warrior with hundreds of kills to his name and no defeats.

Mantis eats the stink bugs. Then you get a bunch of birds to eat the mantises (normal birds should be fine). Lizards and snakes eat the birds. Mongooses (mongeese?) eat the snakes. Bobcats eat the mongooses. Water buffalo eats the bobcats. Then you just turn on the hose in your neighbor's yard and flood it, creating the ideal water buffalo habitat. Water buffalo will naturally migrate over there. Now it's not your problem. Home is pest free. Win-win.

water buffalo (for a wild animal) are good as shit too and my friend is a butcher....i'm liking this.

also, my neighbors are selling and have already moved.....

Mantis eats the stink bugs. Then you get a bunch of birds to eat the mantises (normal birds should be fine). Lizards and snakes eat the birds. Mongooses (mongeese?) eat the snakes. Bobcats eat the mongooses. Water buffalo eats the bobcats. Then you just turn on the hose in your neighbor's yard and flood it, creating the ideal water buffalo habitat. Water buffalo will naturally migrate over there. Now it's not your problem. Home is pest free. Win-win.

Quimby: For decimating our pigeon population, and making Springfield a less
oppressive place to while away our worthless lives, I present you with
this scented candle.
Skinner: Well, I was wrong. The lizards are a godsend.
Lisa: But isn't that a bit short-sighted? What happens when we're
overrun by lizards?
Skinner: No problem. We simply release wave after wave of Chinese
needle snakes. They'll wipe out the lizards.
Lisa: But aren't the snakes even worse?
Skinner: Yes, but we're prepared for that. We've lined up a fabulous
type of gorilla that thrives on snake meat.
Lisa: But then we're stuck with gorillas!
Skinner: No, that's the beautiful part. When wintertime rolls around,
the gorillas simply freeze to death.

Pshh, praying manti aren't really that big of a threat to stink bugs.

What you really need to do is import (illegally, so be careful) some asian wasps. Those are stink bugs natural predators.

Your best bet is just to have a good hand held vacuum cleaner in close proximity to you at all times though.

What you really need to do is import (illegally, so be careful) some asian wasps. Those are stink bugs natural predators.

overnight. amazing what some dogecoins and google translate can get you these days.

Having never heard of stink bugs, right now I'm assuming it's some sort of euphemism for drugs.

Wow you've never had to deal with these assholes!?
adult-male-full.jpg

I honestly don't know. I've lived a number of different places, but it doesn't look familiar. Skimming the wikipedia page, it looks like I left a few places before it arrived, and I don't think it hasn't reached the places I've been for the last 8 years.

I like your "fighting fire with fire" idea... burn the house down.

They are the worst (Matt can't smell them, so when our dumb dog eats them I am the only one that suffers). And somehow there are always a bunch in my jeep. Driving down the road and having those edgers crawling around drives me bonkers.

oh man if dmcheatw accidentally orders asian giant hornets

Back